Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck engine making a chirping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck engine making a chirping noise

Hey everyone! Just in the last week, i have noticed a chirping noise coming from my engine bay. Today i was able to do some troubleshooting. I thought that it maybe my serpentine belt so i took it off and examined it. It looks good, minimal to no cracks in the belt. Took a little time to look at the pulleys and spun them around. Two pulleys, the tensioner pulley and the pulley below the drivers side idler pulley looked suspicious. I didnt want to waste money into replacing them so i just cleaned them up with some carb cleaner. Just to make sure there wasnt some grease, oil, etc. on them. I also cleaned up the belt too. Put it back together and started the motor. Still the same noise. On closer inspection, maybe the noise is coming from drivers side exhaust manifold.

So, i removed the downpipe and cleaned around there with scouring pad and some penetrating oil thinking that there maybe rust causing some noise issues. I put it back together and the noise seemed fixed but after some driving, the noise was back.

Now im thinking that it might be a pulley. My uncle told me to take out the belt out of the motor and start it. I did what he said but the noise was still there.

Im thinking that there is a gasket leak between the exhaust manifold and the motor. Am i right? Is there something else i should look at? Thanks for any help!

Truck info:
07 fx4, bone stock, 130K on the clock

Last edited by BikiniStateScrew; 03-15-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help you with the chirping noise but I can tell you I had an exhaust leak (manifold gasket) on the drivers side. I didn't get a chirp from it but did get a pretty loud ticking (hearing the exhaust valve I guess) from it.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on the noise. I dont know why but somewhere between riding around the woods with some buddies and getting stuck in a ditch, the noise somehow went away. Also, found out my four wheel drive doesn't work. Not sure how long it has been like that. But after some troubleshooting found out the problem was the actuator. That has been replaced and now the four wheel drive works.

Also, I took the truck to a mechanic and he says my ticking may be an exhaust leak. I hope it is. I'm going to order the exhaust manifold gasket. Any suggestions on a good website? And should i go ahead and replace the manifold and the studs as well?

Quick Reply: Truck engine making a chirping noise