Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck died when i hit the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck died when i hit the brakes

my girlfriend was driving my truck today and she said she slammed on the brakes because someone cut her off and the truck died, she put it in neutral and it cranked back up and did fine the rest of the trip. What is going on?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Very odd... buuuttt... I always ask, do you have anything aftermarket? Remote start and/or alarm? Some of them tie into ignition kill (although not too often) and maybe something acted up there. If it was a short in the brake pedal I would have thought she would have blown a fuse.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 AM

I have a programmer but it's never done anything like that to me and I drove it around tonight and it was fine. She did say she was way low on gas when it happened though, I thought vehicles only stalled from sloshing gas like that if they were carbureted?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whens the last time plugs were changed? Hows it idling? FPDM?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 AM

idles rough cpuldnt tell ya anything else about except the motor has 30k miles on it. i just bought the truck like 3 months ago
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say you could do the idle relearn process and see if that helps. With max A/C on, braking hard after a high speed, she may have bogged down the motor enough to stall it. With such a new engine i wouldn't think the MAF or TB would be dirty. Definitely check your FPDM (do a search on it) to see if that needs replaced.

I know before i did my timing system and plugs it would stall occasionally when braking and turning into a parking lot. Hopefully they used new plugs...
Old 07-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

The rough idle might have been a contributing factor. I think Eric hit it all well hahaha.

My fusion was almost doing that, I did a throttle body cleanup, plugs, and a few other things and it's good now. When I'd come to a stop it almost wanted to stall every time. Like Eric said with the FPDM, there was someone here that anytime they'd hit a bump their truck would die (can't recall who).

Quick Reply: Truck died when i hit the brakes