Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck alarm goes off in the middle of night for NO REASON

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck alarm goes off in the middle of night for NO REASON

have a 2004 Ford f-150 with what I thought was a stock alarm but have read that there are no "stock" alarms. I have the typical ford keypad for my keychain, when I arm it from the keychain it beeps four times OR beeps once if I wait a couple minutes. I can also arm it from hitting the lock button inside the truck and it beeps three times and then once more a couple minutes later. The alarm will sound if there is a shock or opened from inside without disarming, the horn honks and lights blink. I looked at the main computer thingmagiger and the model was PRO2032AKD and the shock sensor was an AudioVox.
MY PROBLEM- Every once and a while, usually in the winter when it gets cold, my alarm will go off in the middle of the night for NO reason. Lately it is happening a lot more, Last night went of at 3 am and then again at 4 am. It will do it during the summer but more frequently during the winter. What do I replace or look for. RIght now I have unpluged the sensor unit so no it just locks and unlocks from the keychain no ALARM.
OH YAH I cant seem to get the valet button to work either.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would make sure that there is literally "no reason" for the alarm going off. Maybe some kids, or an animal setting it off? I doubt that, but maybe. Also, I had a car that would arm itself if it was cold out (20's or lower). Installer (now out of business) had no idea, and couldnt figure out why it would arm itself even when the remotes were left untouched. If not, check to make sure your battery is fully charged. I have heard of low voltage to the brain box being the culprit to many mysterious happenings.

Just my 2c. Good luck man.

My alarm was a Viper "Radar-eye" It knew when someone was standing by the car. Not touching it, just standing by it. It was more of a nuisance than a luxury. But yeah, only real logical explanation is that a voltage drop is causing it to protect itself.

Last edited by SallyTwoDiqs; 11-30-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Add alarm make and model
Old 11-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with voltage issue. Had a Jeep that had a bad battery cell going bad and it did the same thing.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Maybe a couple time could have been kids but there are more times that I am 95 percent positive its just acting goofy.
I will check my battery voltage but if I can remember its only about 6-8 months old.
I am trying just turning down my sensitivity dial all the way and going see what happens.
Thanks for your input, I really hate electronics.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

sounds like a battery issue... or may a hood switch.. or something like that... i work at a coal mine and we got some sensors on our belts that sets off alarms when it gets so cold and we have to adjust them... and then in the summer we have to re adjust themb ecouse when they need to be set off they wont set off..... but really sounds like a battery prob to me.. could make sure you have good connections on the batt
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Manitoba, Canada

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Possibly a "shock-sensor" that is set too sensitive, and goes off at night when temps drop..??
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
5.4L Powerstroke

Let us know what you found out. It's likely not a problem with the battery itself (it's not very old) but never discount the idea of the battery being sub par when it comes to cold weather. Any form of electronic will "slow down" when it's cold, and information cant flow through the circuit boards as quickly.

(ADD moment thoughts...)
As an example, leave your cell on and put it in the freezer (simulating leaving it in a truck overnight (or alarm/remote start brain box)) for about 10-15 minutes. Then take it out. It will lag horribly, you press a button...wait...wait, then it appears. Its just that the flow of information is restricted by the temperature. Assuming that it is 30 degrees or colder there. If it is warmer than that then you shouldn't be seeing any problems with the alarm/remote start. If in fact it IS warmer than that then I would be looking into who did the install and be asking questions.

Sorry to ramble so long, but I hope this makes a little more sense and helps everyone understand how this could be happening.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

yep man some dude has been setting ur alarm off over and over in hopes ull turn it off and he can steal ur truck. id beayt the crap out of ur neighbors to let them know u aint gonna put up with it!! or better yet window tweak all night and catch em in the act, then go american history x on the *****es
Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 AM

Ok so its been a couple months and it hasnt gone off for no reason. What I did was turn the sensitivity all the way down, so maybe the sensor is bad . Just going leave it all the way turned down.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
04 F150 FX4

*DISREGARD THIS POST, SEE MY NEXT POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS*
I have an 04 FX4 and its got a alarm from the dealer on it. I had this problem when I first got my truck, the alarm would go off for no reason, so I found an article on how to change the sensitivity and have had no problems since.
Here's what I remember, It's worth a try.
Turn the key to the "Run" position without starting it.
Under the steering wheel there is a little light and behind that is a little button.

Name:  IMAG0152.jpg
Views: 7090
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0153.jpg
Views: 7102
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0154.jpg
Views: 6013
Size:  31.7 KB

You lock your doors, then push this button for 60-90 seconds.
If done successful the locks will unlock and lock again telling you your in program mode.
Then you use the lock and unlock button to adjust sensitivity (Lock-More sensitive; Unlock-Less sensitive)
Tap the steering wheel to check sensitivity. The more less sensitive it is the harder the steering wheel we need to be tapped to hear a "beep"
Turn the truck to "off" when finished and your done.

This is the instructions from memory, so they might or might not work, I'll look around to see if I can find the actual instructions I used.

Last edited by JLindsay32; 02-13-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Inaccurate Information

Quick Reply: Truck alarm goes off in the middle of night for NO REASON