Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Troubleshooting a Transfer Case Shift Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting a Transfer Case Shift Motor

So my 2006 5.4L V8 F150 got stuck into 4x4 Low (it has the electronic switch, not the manual handle) and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it back to 4H or 2H.
So in order to at least drive it home I removed the transfer case motor and used some vice grips to turn the small **** back to 2H.
Now I'm unsure how to really troubleshoot why the Motor wasn't working to begin with. So here are some basic questions I have:

- If I turn the switch inside the vehicle, should the shift motor itself turn now that it's not attached to the T case? Or does it have to be connected to the T-Case to actually rotate?

-Does the motor do some sort of diagnostic checks elsewhere? Or is it as simple as turn the switch inside the vehicle and it should attempt to turn the motor?

I don't want to order a new shift motor if the problem is perhaps elsewhere in the electrical system.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default transfer case shift motor

Did you look at the owners manual about shifting in and out of 4wd low? I can't remember exactly the details, but there's a process. You have to be I neutral or the brake on or something like that or it wont shift in to or (I think) out of low

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting a Transfer Case Shift Motor