Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trouble starting 2007 F-150 V8 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Trouble starting 2007 F-150 V8 5.4L

Hello all,

I am having an issue with my truck. First off I have aspect all alarm with a engine starter which also isn't functioning. The only way I can start my truck is when I push the gas pedal slightly. However it is starting to get real frustrating to not easily starting my truck. Also the abs light is on and my brake light is on, only after 3 mins of driving do they appear. Nothing is wrong with my brakes I have gotten them checked. I was told that it could of been the fuel pump, so I changed the fuel pump and it still has the same problem.

I have some thoughts but would like you guys to help me out and maybe someone has had a similar experience.

I am thinking it could be the IAC Valve, or the ECU, any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

have you checked your FPDM. its on the cross member by your spare tire.
as for your ABS. you may need to get it scanned to find any codes. Check your parking brake could be depressed enough to cause the "red" brake light. I am assuming that since you have checked your brakes out the fluid is full.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to concerned about the brake lights I know those are just a sensor issue or could be a malfunction from the ECU. I want to find the issue with the starting
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If it's fuel related, you have two other possibilities you have not changed; the FPDM as mentioned by Triton54HD, or the fuel filter.

Our Fords use a single fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel rail(s) in the engine compartment. While the engine is running, the fuel pump is turned on/turned off by a signal from the PCM to the FPDM; this is how fuel pressure is regulated. There is no longer a fuel pressure regualtor valve, as this required two fuel lines to/from the gas tank, and two lines increased the chance of vapor lock. There is also a fuel cutoff switch by the passenger side kick panel; this is used to kill the fuel pump if the truck was in a roll over or hard accident. Since your truck eventually starts, it rules out this switch.

Lower the spare tire, then crawl under the truck and locate the FPDM; it will be located on a crossmember by the spare tire. Remove the two bolts that attach it to this cross member to inspect its backside. If it's corroded or has holes in it, chances are it is shorted or damaged, and is causing your hard start issues.

A clogged or plugged fuel filter is also suspect. If the truck runs fine once you get past the hard start issue, the fuel filter may be dirty, causing a low fuel pressure build up on initial turn of the key to start the truck.

You can try this too: turn the key to on only for about 5 seconds, then turn the key further to crank the engine/starter. Does it start easier? If so, the fuel filter would be my first choice.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-25-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting 2007 F-150 V8 5.4L