Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trouble with my KC lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trouble with my KC lights.

I've got the long range KC slimlites, and they've been working great. But last night I went to use them and when I flipped the switch on they didn't come on and I played with the switch and eventually they came on, but then they didn't want to go off. I kept flipping the switch but they wouldn't turn off. The whole time they were having issues the switch itself seemed to be working fine, when I flipped it to the on spot the light on the switch came on and when I switched it off the light went off. I'm new to the whole off road lights so I'm not sure what I should do. I ended up just disconnecting them from the battery last night when they wouldn't go off because I didn't want someone to drive up and get blinded.

Also if matters yesterday was the first full day of rain that the truck was exposed to since I put the lights on, but I don't think that should have done anything to them to cause this problem.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to check your connections in all the wires, also are the tabs tight on the switch
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Is your switch rated for that much amperage? A GOOD switch will go a long way. Are you using relays?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by fol4321
You need to check your connections in all the wires, also are the tabs tight on the switch
I checked all the connections expect the switch itself last night and they seemed to be good, I'll tabs on the switch when I get in the truck in a little bit.

Originally Posted by M&D
Is your switch rated for that much amperage? A GOOD switch will go a long way. Are you using relays?
I'm assuming the switch is rated right, its the switch that KC included in the kit, and yes I'm using the relay that KC included in the kit as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I disconnected my battery the day after i put the lights in and i loosened up the wire that runs into the inline fuse
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by fol4321
Same thing happened to me. I disconnected my battery the day after i put the lights in and i loosened up the wire that runs into the inline fuse
I'll give that a shot. I've been busy and haven't checked my switch connections but I'll try both soon and check back in.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

SSounds to me that you have a short in the switch, you could always find you another power and ground source to see if your lights turn on and off when you connect direct power. If they do not flicker then you have a bad connection within the switch and will have to replace it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I tried everything recommended. But when I reconnected my lights they came on and stayed on, regardless if the switch was on or off. I didn't know what to do so I just pulled the big fuse, not the one connected to direct power but the yellow one that comes from the relay and put it back in then they started working correctly. Here's a diagram if it helps.

Anybody know what could have happened? Could it be a bad ground?

Quick Reply: Trouble with my KC lights.