Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: Tuner destroying tranny?
Tuner with no problems
82.35%
Tuner with some minor problems
0%
Tuner with major problem
5.88%
Tuner with complete rebuild
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Transmissions and tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Transmissions and tuners

Just curious of who has had a major tranny problem and has operated a tuner on their truck. Answer the poll please.
Also what kind of tuner did you use?

Last edited by ProZach; 12-02-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Edge Evo w/ 5.4 and 4sp AOD. No problems with the tranny *KNOCKS ON WOOD*
Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I have an SCT 3 Tuner on mine with custom tunes, and I recently had tranny problems. However, I dont think the two are related. the shift firmness was altered with thte tuner, but I dont drive it hard enough to make it shift "hard" I have heard of a lot of people with no tuners having tranny problems. Of course, there is always the possibility this could lead to the tranny having issues, either directly or indirectly (having a tuner making the driver drive more aggressively). Im not saying a tuner will not hurt your tranny as there is always more wear and tear on a vehicle once you up the power output and alter other stuff. I'm just saying I dont believe having a tuner on my truck is what led to the transmission going out.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

i have an edge tuner on my truck with no issues. a firmer shift (not too firm) is better for an auto trans than a mushy shift so its even possible a tuner can help your trans, in fact that was the case with my ranger. before i tuned it and upped the line pressure for firmer shifts i had a 2-3 slip that completely went away after being tuned. also with my scanguage i see noticably lower trans temps with a tune.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
i have an edge tuner on my truck with no issues. a firmer shift (not too firm) is better for an auto trans than a mushy shift so its even possible a tuner can help your trans, in fact that was the case with my ranger. before i tuned it and upped the line pressure for firmer shifts i had a 2-3 slip that completely went away after being tuned. also with my scanguage i see noticably lower trans temps with a tune.
you guys say firmer shift; do you mean like firm as in jerks you more when you hit the shift point or do you mean it just feels like the tranny knows what its doing more than stock. Also Kozal you said you have an edge. Did you notice the difference immediately or did you have to look for it?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by zchpro
you guys say firmer shift; do you mean like firm as in jerks you more when you hit the shift point or do you mean it just feels like the tranny knows what its doing more than stock. Also Kozal you said you have an edge. Did you notice the difference immediately or did you have to look for it?
no its not a throw your head back shift, its just a nice quick, firm shift. the transmission just feels tighter with a tune, not sloppy like an auto usually is. yeah i noticed a difference right away. the trans tuning is more noticeable than the engine tuning but i still havent run the 91 octane performance tune, i heard that tune is pretty bad ***.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I've got an Edge evo on mine with transmission firmness set +7. It gives a nice solid shift like the old C-4s did.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed EVO and Gotts and saw a noticeable difference in performance and mileage. Recently I went into Custom to change my tire size to what I run (LT 265 70 17) and now the trans shift feels sloppier. I think I will go back to the default canned performance program and see if it feels better.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an edge tuner for my truck to help tow my new trailer. I don't know if the tuner had anything to do with it but when I tow my trailer I smell a burnt tranny fluid. I have only pulled my trailer 3 times and it has happened each time. Now I am stuck with a brand new trailer that I can't pull with my truck. The tranny shop told me the clutches are slipping. The trailer is a 2011 32.5ft keystone passport. It only weighs about 6k empty. The RV dealer said I could pull it no problem. I never had a problem pulling anything else with my truck until now. I am just baffled!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in theory the tuner should extend the life of the tranny. the tuner will bump up line pressure and increase the speed at which it shifts.

a higher line pressure will keep the clutch packs more firmly squeezed together which means less slippage which leads to less clutch particles in the oil to clog the lines.

faster shift speed does the same thing, gets the clutches pressed together faster which also leads to less slippage.

Quick Reply: Transmissions and tuners