Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission "Tink" Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission "Tink" Noise

I have been searching the forums for a better part of a week trying to find some info about my tranny but I have had no luck so I will ask the question...

When my truck is cold and I drive it... the transmission makes a Tink or Ping noise each time it shifts gears. It does it in every gear but only once right at the shift point. When the truck warms up it doesnt do it with every shift but still does it occasionally. It does not matter if I accelerate hard or easily... it makes the same noise.

The truck is a 2005 with 100k miles on it and it is an auto with the 5.4L. I just had the pan dropped and the filters changed and topped off with fluid... but no flush. I didnt notice the noise before that... but I havent had the truck for very long so it may have been doing it before.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Lackid20; 09-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

No problem here. But it could be a u joint on your drive shaft or the slip yoke at the tranny or pumpkin (axle).
If its audible at all there is a good chance it's outside of the tranny then inside.
Check the driveshafts for slop, and check the heat shields for the exhaust, they may be bent and tapping the driveshaft. It could also be a transmission mount or even a motor mount... You should crawl under the truck and check everything.
The following users liked this post:
Lackid20 (09-01-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I crawled under my truck and checked the u joints and they seem fine... when I was looking at them I noticed that there is oil on the outside of the rear axle where the drive shaft connects. I assume the seal is bad? Could this have anything to do with my noise?

Quick Reply: Transmission "Tink" Noise