Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Shudders at low RPM in OD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Shudders at low RPM in OD

2005 KR SCREW 4x4, 126K miles. My transmission shudders when it is trying to downshift at low RPMs from OD, or if I apply the gas pedal while it is at low RPMs in OD. If I let off the gas and then give it gas again it goes away, or if I turn off the OD it goes away. This has been going on for some time, and as long as I go easy on the gas or turn off OD going uphill it doesn't occur very often. Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Its not your transmission. It will end up being one or a combination of the following; Plugged cats, spark plugs, coil sticks, dirty maf, air filter. There are more possibilities but just a quick list...
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to a Transmission shop and tell them what your problem is and ask them if they have an additive to fix this problem... someone on here and myself have tryed this additive with great success!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Jesus saves.Just ask Him!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '08 5.4 that i bought three weeks ago. I noticed mine doing the same thing about twice a week. i was thinking it was low or high in Trans oil. But from what i have read, its not the coils or plugs becuase that problem was fixed in '07. Any body else have a fix or a cause of this?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, the only thing fixed in 07 was the spark plugs breaking during removal. Your problem is most likely a bad COP. I've faught missfires with my truck for the last year and usually when it only does It when torque converter is locked in od your problem is a coil. Give it more fuel and take a load off the motor and it stops missing.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM

My truck is doing the same thing. What are you going to try. The answers that you received seem weak at best. I know very little but everyone seems to be shared out.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Mine is doing the same with no CEL. Hope to see what the responses are. Hoping it's not needing a new TC.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Jesus saves.Just ask Him!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets say it is the coil, what exactly is this coil and why does it go bad? are there one coil per spark plug? what does it take to replace them?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

You guys should get your codes read by someone with a good scanner...

Sometimes your vehicle will store "pending" codes and it will take a number of misfires in a period of time to actually trip the CEL...

I've went through a week of misfires to get the CEL trip and tell me which coil was causing the misfire...

It would misfire at a certain rpm and speed causing the truck to buck so I did the town 500 keeping it close to home forcing it to misfire till it threw the light so I didn't have to guess and check. It took a while but I got it throw the code as cylinder #1

If you only get a misfire here and there, you could have a pending code, if you can get it to do it a bunch you might be able to get the light to trip...

Beware if it is a tranny issue you probably don't want to force it to slip and shudder but more often than not a misfire will lead most to believe they are having a tranny issue
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rlowhorn
My truck is doing the same thing. What are you going to try. The answers that you received seem weak at best. I know very little but everyone seems to be shared out.
Well that's a little rude... Why don't you take your truck to your local ford dealer and pay them to troubleshoot your problem

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudders at low RPM in OD