Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Rebuild... Fixin to grow some balls..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Transmission Rebuild... Fixin to grow some *****..

Well my OD has been gone for a while now and its gotten to the point where I changed jobs and have to drive 30 miles to work one way instead of 3. After hearing the prices on rebuilds, remans, ect, I have opted to try to rebuild this myself. Its a 4r75w from a 2004 F150 4x4. I have watched video after video and reesearched it extensively and I think between 3 guys with a combined 50 yrs in slinging tools I think we can do it. The hardest part will be removing the tranny and transfer case. I'm talking with the guys at Oregon Performance Transmissions getting my kits. Its gonna be a few weeks, but I figure it will take 3 days to complete the whole job. I'm looking at a regular borg warner rebuild kit but gonna try to swap the bands for kevlar ones. Sonnax cure kit , updated solenoids, heavy duty torque converter and valve body kit. Sure I could go get a used one but I'm sorta scared of em and want to know what's going in mine.

Has anyone ever rebuilt one? Any tips? Concerns? LoL. I'll be sure to post plenty of pics and try to document everything I do.

I did drop my valve body and did find the broken snap ring. Tried that fix and went to move the overdrive band and it was flopping around like a fish out of water... oops. Guess that's what I get for flooring it on the off ramp.. she's got 200235 miles on the original motor and transmission and the only thing wrong is the OD. Guess preventative maint. helps lol...

What do yall think? Go for it?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Ill be watch this to see how it goes. I ve got almost 200k and thats the one thing that has drove me nuts its how the dang thing shifts. Fig there is some thing wrong but never really wanted to tare into a trany. Guess I aint growen the ***** yet lol. Other than that good luck.

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild... Fixin to grow some balls..