Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Transmission Question

Okay, so let me first start off by saying this took place in my 04 XLT Supercab 2wd. I had my transmission replaced at 75k miles. There is now 153k miles on the truck. I am a volunteer firefighter, and this truck has done its fair share of hauling *** when the pager goes off. I don't get a chance to let the truck warm up when this happens for obvious reasons. But it was 65 degrees out and I have made runs way colder then that. So yesterday, as I always do, the pager went off and I fired the truck up and came out of my driveway. As soon as I went to put my foot in it the truck started to shutter violently and wouldn't shift into second. Cursing at the top of my lungs, I pulled out onto the main road and let pedal meet metal. As soon as I did that it shuttered but broke through and switched gears and then I was off like a rocket. After I got back from the call, no codes showed up on my edge and the check engine light was not on. I took the truck the long way home to test everything and it drove completely fine at all speeds. I even did a 0-60 and it was perfect. What happened?! Was this a one time thing? Maybe I wasn't in drive all the way because I was in a rush? I rely on my truck every day to help me do my job. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Anyplace I've lived the volunteer firefighters (including myself many years ago) aren't supposed to "take off like a rocket", we can't exceed the speed limit.

You say it was 65. Any chance it was substantially colder just before that? Sometimes vehicles don't like the radical temp changes that we can get.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Anyplace I've lived the volunteer firefighters (including myself many years ago) aren't supposed to "take off like a rocket", we can't exceed the speed limit. You say it was 65. Any chance it was substantially colder just before that? Sometimes vehicles don't like the radical temp changes that we can get.
Haha, hold on a minute! In my defense, we are not supposed to exceed the speed limit. What I meant was that I had to go that far into the throttle to shift and finally get up to speed. I didn't and never fly all the way there because thats how people die. I can see I should have worded that better.

Also yes, it has been 30 degrees the entire week leading up to a final break in the weather. I did look over to my edge right when it started to shutter and it read engine temp 88, I know that is nowhere near warmed up temp. So may that have been the culprit? As I've said, I have done this when it has been 12 degrees in the dead of winter before with no problems.

Last edited by WWII HiStOrIaN; 03-27-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could it of been a misfire? Have you changed your plugs yet?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jordanb8812
Could it of been a misfire? Have you changed your plugs yet?
This is going to sound bad, but I don't know if the plugs have ever been replaced. I can tell you that the tachometer kept going up yet the truck wasn't going any faster. Not sure if that makes it more clear wether it was a misfire or tranny issue. This truck was handed down to me, so I do not really know its full maintenance history other than I know it had regular oil changes. I am slowly going through it all but I haven't gotten to the plugs yet. I will check on the plugs and let you guys know. Has real damage been done to the engine after 153,000 miles if the plugs are original?

Last edited by WWII HiStOrIaN; 03-27-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WWII HiStOrIaN
This is going to sound bad, but I don't know if the plugs have ever been replaced. I can tell you that the tachometer kept going up yet the truck wasn't going any faster. Not sure if that makes it more clear wether it was a misfire or tranny issue. This truck was handed down to me, so I do not really know its full maintenance history other than I know it had regular oil changes. I am slowly going through it all but I haven't gotten to the plugs yet. I will check on the plugs and let you guys know. Has real damage been done to the engine after 153,000 miles if the plugs are original?
I think if you have an aamco near you it might be a good idea to have a diagnostic done. It sounds like transmission. When you gave it gas you say the rpms went up before the truck actually took off? Mine did similar just before she died at 114k. I had mine rebuilt and upgraded for towing. If when you had it rebuilt it was with cheap aftermarket or factory parts I could see it going out again after 70k or so. The plugs will definitely make a difference but it sounds like tranny.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
I think if you have an aamco near you it might be a good idea to have a diagnostic done. It sounds like transmission. When you gave it gas you say the rpms went up before the truck actually took off? Mine did similar just before she died at 114k. I had mine rebuilt and upgraded for towing. If when you had it rebuilt it was with cheap aftermarket or factory parts I could see it going out again after 70k or so. The plugs will definitely make a difference but it sounds like tranny.
I will definitely have a test done and report the results. However I know for a fact that the tranny was replaced at a Ford dealership. So with OEM parts most likely. It cost us a pretty penny too, and the power train warranty that came with it just expired on the 18th, so I'll be pissed if this transmission dies right after the warranty expired.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM

I will definitely have a test done and report the results. However I know for a fact that the tranny was replaced at a Ford dealership. So with OEM parts most likely. It cost us a pretty penny too, and the power train warranty that came with it just expired on the 18th, so I'll be pissed if this transmission dies right after the warranty expired.
damn Murphy's Law.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
damn Murphy's Law.
So I just took the truck for a nice lengthy drive. Happy to report she's shifting smoothly at all speeds. Not sure what may have happened, but I'm thankful to not be replacing my transmission again. Since no codes were thrown in this entire time i'm hoping that'll just be a one time thing. However, did find out that the spark plugs are the original ones. Also, the throttle body has never been cleaned. I'm going to go through this truck top to bottom and give it a full check up. I don't need any more surprises. I will of course replace the plugs now. Let's have a round of applause for those plugs lasting 11 years and 153,000 miles, still going strong.

Last edited by WWII HiStOrIaN; 03-29-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:45 PM

So I just took the truck for a nice lengthy drive. Happy to report she's shifting smoothly at all speeds. Not sure what may have happened, but I'm thankful to not be replacing my transmission again. Since no codes were thrown in this entire time i'm hoping that'll just be a one time thing. However, did find out that the spark plugs are the original ones. Also, the throttle body has never been cleaned. I'm going to go through this truck top to bottom and give it a full check up. I don't need any more surprises. I will of course replace the plugs now. Let's have a round of applause for those plugs lasting 15 years and 153,000 miles, still going strong.
make sure you have the lisle tool. I only needed it for one plug but it saved my life.
The following users liked this post:
WWII HiStOrIaN (03-29-2015)

Quick Reply: Transmission Question