Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission problems P0720,P0722

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems P0720,P0722

So I have developed a trans problem, it seems like its slipping in D,1,2 at first i thought maybe the bands went out, reverse works fine, any forward gear does not work most of the time, if i am in a parking lot i can stop and stop as many times as i want without a problem, but when making turns and anytime i stop at a red light the truck just revs up like its in neutral, usually when i rev it up to 3-4k i can get it to start rolling and then everything works fine. I had O/D light come on and go off after a minute or so, no check engine, then yesterday check engine finally came on and I got the P0720,P0722 codes, prior to the engine light coming on i was getting a soft code P0722 when the o/d would blink and go off without a check engine. Does it sound like that sensor or circut will be my problem? is do you think that could be coming up as an issue because of internal wear and need a rebuild? just looking for some advice as I dont wanna start throwing parts at it as the truck is my back up and looking to sell it as soon as my Diesel motor is rebuilt. there is times i can go 3-4 stop lights with zero issues and other times every time i stop it wont move forward

Just looking to see what info other people have and have come across to see the likely hood of needing a rebuild, as most trans shops will tell u need a rebuild without even looking at or driving ur vehicle

thanks in advance
Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Hit up mitymerc. He hangs out in the Engine / Drivetrain forum. And include what you're missing... year, engine, 2/4wd, mileage, transmission...
Old 09-11-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

P0720 Ford - Output Speed Sensor Insufficient Input
what triggers this code; Vehicle speed sensor over 1 MPH while the output speed sensor signal did not agree

P0722 Ford - Output Speed Sensor No Signal
what triggers this code: The output shaft speed sensor failed to provide a signal to the TCM upon initial movement of vehicle.

basically the PCM is not seeing a signal from the output speed sensor. either the sensor is faulty or there is a wiring issue.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 2016 ford f-150 and I put the bully dog gt tuner on it. It worked great for the first couple months. Then out of the blue it started dropping gears while I was driving. It would drop from 6th to 1st or 2nd, and would cause my engine to rev up to redline limit. Shortly after it will slip into neutral so I cannot drive it. I do not think it is the bully dog tuner because i took it off and it has done it multiple times afterwards.
Do yall know anything about this?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by John Bonee
I drive a 2016 ford f-150 and I put the bully dog gt tuner on it. It worked great for the first couple months. Then out of the blue it started dropping gears while I was driving. It would drop from 6th to 1st or 2nd, and would cause my engine to rev up to redline limit. Shortly after it will slip into neutral so I cannot drive it. I do not think it is the bully dog tuner because i took it off and it has done it multiple times afterwards.
Do yall know anything about this?
@John Bonee You should start a new thread. This one's been dead for four years or so.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems P0720,P0722