Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

It was really muddy here so I put it in reverse and backed up then put it in drive to turn around to leave and I had to get down on the pedal Bc it was really muddy and then out of nowhere my gauges said trans fault and my overdrive light was blinking so I checked my transmission fluid and it was completely dry so I went and bought 3 quarts and put that in and then the trans fault and overdrive lights went away but it still shakes really bad when I drive and the faster I go the more it shakes!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recheck the fluid, and I've had mud/snow collect on the inside of my wheels and will shake like crazy until I wash it out, feels like a wheel is out of balance. Not sure if that's your problem but it's worth a look. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

^^ this. Wouldn't hurt to pressure wash the wheels and drive shaft, then go for a drive. If you're still imbalanced, get the tires re-balanced. You may have lost a weight. If that doesn't work, get the drive shaft re-balanced. The drive shafts on these trucks are so weak and flimsy, if you look at yours, it will have a big white sticker on it that says "SCRAP IF DROPPED". They get knocked off balance very easily.

Another thought, consider pulling off your rear tires and rotors and checking / pressure washing the parking brake.

Just trying to eliminate everything else before we start pulling off transmission mounting bolts.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have 4WD I would check the transfer case fluid level.
Your trans fluid had to go some where.
On 4WDs the seal between the transmission and xfer case have been known to leak. Careful when taking the top plug out because the xfer case might be full
Old 03-15-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Another thought, consider pulling off your rear tires and rotors and checking / pressure washing the parking brake.[snip]
^^ THIS

I had my parking brake hang up. It feels like all kinds of other things but was an easy fix.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Figure anything out yet?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jordanb8812
Figure anything out yet?
kinda, the unbalanced part was Bc I had mud in the rim so I cleaned it and it ran fine but I took it to my buddy's mechanic shop and he looked at it and said that the transmission fluid that was leaked all under it was from me spilling it trying to pour it in without a funnel. But I thought that you never really have to put in transmission fluid
Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Yeah from what I understand the level shouldn't ever really go down, but I have read on the forum than it can leak from the trans into the torque converter. I would just clean it all up and keep a very close eye on the fluid. Is it driving fine still?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jordanb8812
Yeah from what I understand the level shouldn't ever really go down, but I have read on the forum than it can leak from the trans into the torque converter. I would just clean it all up and keep a very close eye on the fluid. Is it driving fine still?
so far, yes
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie930
If you have 4WD I would check the transfer case fluid level. Your trans fluid had to go some where. On 4WDs the seal between the transmission and xfer case have been known to leak. Careful when taking the top plug out because the xfer case might be full
This is a very good point. A faulty transmission rear seal will allow fluid to drain into the transfer case. It's a fairly common issue and should definetly be checked out. A transmission low on fluid means it's leaking, trannys don't burn fluid lol.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems