Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

05 Lariat
The local dealership just replaced my transmission 3 months ago. Last night I was pulling out of my drive way and put the truck into second gear instead of drive. When I push the pedal down over 1/2 way the transmission grinds very loudly. Went to the dealer today and was told that the truck is not meant to start out in second gear. Since there is no problems in Drive they dont think this is a serious issue. Any advice would be great.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

tell them thats bull, it starts in the same gear everytime, which is 1st gear, the 2 means i wont shift out of the second gear when you drive it, same with the drive/ overdrive, tell them to fix it now and not try to pull a fast one on you
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
tell them thats bull, it starts in the same gear everytime, which is 1st gear, the 2 means i wont shift out of the second gear when you drive it, same with the drive/ overdrive, tell them to fix it now and not try to pull a fast one on you
Actually Ford transmissions, at least all that I have driven to include my '06 will start out in second if second is selected. Reduced torque for slippery conditions. So I would say to the dealer that there IS a problem that they need to address.

Thomas
Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
This picture scares you

I have done this, down shifted into 2nd (thought I was in first, use it to control the downhill drive to my house). Went to start off, sluggish. Trying to drive in 2nd gear, thank goodness this was sans the grinding noise.

04 FX4
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM

LOL... They called today and wanted to let me know that there would be a 1500 dollar charge for removing the trans if the warranty inspector deems foul play. This trans is only 3 months old and 90% of my daily driving is highway.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you wish you could go back and not say some things. Thats BS if they dont fix it under warranty.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Auburn Grad 07'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not entirely familiar with the operation of the transmission in these trucks but speaking generally about your situation I will say that all Ford dealers are not the same.

I had a buddy with 08' and a transmission that exhibited similar problems. He took it to his local dealer who rebuilt the transmission under warranty. 2k miles later it crapped out to the point that it wasn't drivable. He took it to another dealer who, upon removal of the transmission pan, found metal shavings in the bottom and said the rebuild was a disaster. They rebuilt it; again under warranty, and reported the previous dealer to Ford. He has had no problems since.

Moral of the story, try to get a second opinion from another dealer if possible. For whatever reason competence is not entirely uniform across the spectrum of Ford dealers.

Hope you get your problem resolved and keep us posted as to the run-around.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 AM
This picture scares you

They have to PROVE that something was done wrong, not just say that you did something wrong to it... Most winter driving schools will tell you that it is best to start a vehicle out in 2nd gear (if vehicle is capable of doing this, some trans will not do it)... This prevents slipping on the start off, when you are most likely to get stuck or dig yourself in further.

I would ask them if it was not "meant" to do it why is it able to do it? It is possible that it is a safety feature?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 PM

I am meeting the Warranty inspector Wed afternoon. I will post their findings.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read your owners manual, I actually think I remember reading in there that FORD tells you to start in second sometimes but do not remember the details. perhaps photo copy that section for the dealer.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem