Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem

I purchased a 2004 F150 lariat, 4x4, in September 2008. The truck at the time of purchase had approx 97,000 (km) 60,000 miles. I test drove the truck prior to purchase, and at that time it had a slight shudder at moderate accelerations. The dealer told me they would have it checked and repaired for the sale. I took the truck out a second time and it seemed good, no shudder. The explaination I was given, the fluid had broken down and neededto be changed, no further problems. Well...the day I picked up the truck, the transmission would not stay in third gear, it would slip out, and the truck appeared to be in neutral. I took it, maybe the fluid was low, but this was not the case. The truck has been good since then until just two days ago, it did the same thing. Very random, no warning signs as to when this problem is going to happen. HELP! (haha)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Why oh why, would you have taken delivery of that truck? I doubt there is a warrantee, as you would not be posting here if there was.

I'd take it to a neutral transmission shop (not Ford), and get their diagnosis. Then go back to the dealer to see what they will do (if any).

Good luck, and tough lesson learned.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM

You know what, the guy I bought the truck from is a personal friend who works for the dealership, so I was hoping and trusting things would have been fixed. If it had not been a friend, you're right I would have walked from the deal. Just wondering if there would be an easy, or let me say a fairly inexpensive way for a good diagnoses..if anyone has anything, I would love to hear from ya, ....Bucko, Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM

Default tranny

i have used friction modifier in trannys before to stop slippage
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM

I would find out what your state lemon laws are.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't help you with the problem, but I hope you get it figured out and the financial damage isn't too bad. The situation sucks.

Originally Posted by SHERRI_001_001
I would find out what your state lemon laws are.
He's in Canada. Not sure if they have lemon laws or not.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

if he's really your friend, he'll help you fix the problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM

First off thanks for the responses...After some checking, the eventual problem with my transmission was a broken snap ring. The broken ring splintered into a few pieces and a piece worked itself into the valve body and would shut down third gear. Apparently this was not a common problem I was told, but talking with other Ford people, this has happened before. Since the fix, all good. It should be noted the dealership was great in covering some costs, as I had not purchased any extended warranty. Hopefully this will help anyone else with this type of problem....

Quick Reply: transmission problem