Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Problem

Alright, this is the second time I have had this problem with my truck, and have over $800 invested into this problem, and it is still not fixed...... I have searched here to see if others have had this problem on this site, if so... I am sorry for re-posting, because I must have missed it..
I have a 08 SCrew XLT 4x4 w/ 5.4v and towing package with apprx 120K miles on it (If that helps)

Needless to say...While driving, the truck will shift as if it is going completely into neutral anywhere after 30 MPH...But only into the 4th gear... Now if i pull over, turn the truck off, or turn it off while in neutral, and turn the truck back on, it drives smooth for another half mile or so, and then does it all over again..

First trip into ford, they replaced the Sensor by the linkage on the transmission and "flashed" the transmission to fix it. I got 10 miles from the dealership and it started acting up again. Took it down to a strict transmission shop which was 300 Miles away from my hometown, and they said there was nothing wrong with it, becasue the truck started driving great before i got there. lol UGH Ran another 4000 miles or so, and now it is acting up again and i found out if I run with the overdrive off, the truck drives does fine... Reverse and everything works, just doesnt go into over drive.

Second trip to ford, they ran tests on it and said that they recommend getting a new transmission, in which they were EVER so nice to go ahead and price one for $3250 for me. I got my keys, paid them their $210 for running tests and drove off. Now, the truck is driving fine again...

Does anyone else know of anyone having a problem like what I am having... I was possibly thinking it could just be a Broken accumulator spring in the valve body after doing some research...

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time in advance!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 AM

added info....

I bought this truck brand new with only 11 miles on it... Has all up to date maintance records and receipts in which ford calls for... and when ford dropped the oil pan this last time, and the time before, my transmission oil was clean and didnt smell burnt..

But "Certified Technician" said low pressure going into 4th gear shows clutch is going out, and "recommended" a new transmission..

Hope this helps any..

Any questions, feel free to ask !!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about to start a thread with the same transmission problem but I figured I should do a search first then I ran into yours. I have the same problem, 04 f150 scab lariat with 5.4, drives great with o/d off. When o/d is on, runs to 1st, to 2nd gear and at around 25 to 30 mph, goes to neutral or slips and does not go to any gears. does anyone know of the speed ranges the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears are? maybe we can troubleshoot this problem together.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM

When the transmission in my 07 went south, it drive fine in OD off mode, but act as though it was in neutral if allowed to shift into OD.
When it was ripped apart at the shop, they found that a snap ring had let go. This snap ring held the OD plunger in place.When it let go, the plunger wouldn't stay in place and there was nothing to hold line pressure for OD, or at least that's the way it was explained to me.If this is what is going on with your truck,you need to get it fixed, before the plunger pops right out and causes other damage.
Fortunately for me , I had purchased a power train warranty when I bought my truck used,or it would have cost me $2500 to fix that one.
Scott
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Thanks for your reply timebomb, another guy posted from a different website

"I have the same problem, but with no codes being throwed at me ( no lites blinking) like he said everything works fine until it shifts into overdrive then the engine rev`s up, also not sure what mjens meens about the torque converter locking up please explain !! thanks,
Took my truck tp dealer today and found that the O/D Snap ring is broken, will be up and running tomorrow afternoon with "$676.71 less in my pocket"...but its better than a rebuild.., hope this helps someone in the future...,"

this was back in 2008. does anyone know if the snap ring can be replaced by just taking off the transmission pan? or do i need to remove the whole transmission out of the truck?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

i just got a new one under warranty from ford
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

By the time they had it tore down far enough to find the problem, the warranty company told them to go ahead and rebuild it.
I think that it's pretty much apart once they get to there.
Scott
Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM

So I dropped off my truck to the transmission guy today, he said it could be the band, he said to repair it, cost about $800. a rebuild with new seals, band and snap-ring (another probable cause) is about $1100. A heavier duty rebuild would cost $1500. I talked to two transmission shop and they recommend to test and repair only the problem part(s) and their rebuild cost $1800 and $2000. Talked to two other shops and they said that at 100,000 miles (I have 95000 on mine), if one part goes bad, then the other parts especially the rubber seals, bands and rings may go soon. Their rebuild is $1200 and $1100. All had one year and 12000 miles warranty.

The shop I went to had a 05 f150 truck that he's rebuilding the transmission on and he showed me the parts, seals, band, snap ring and gears that he will be putting on the 05 tranny. He showed the difference between the regular and heavy duty rebuild. I went for the heavy duty.

He said he will call tomorrow to confirm what was the actual problem.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Got the truck back tonight, drove it and runs like new. Drives in o/d. There was a slight hesitation and a little thud when going from a stop but now its all gone. No hesitation and no thud sound. The mechanic said that there was two snap rings that broke and was worried that the valve body was damaged. He checked it and test drove afterwards and all is working. He said that luckily, we didn't drive too long with those snap rings broken. Otherwise if the broken parts damaged the valve body, then it would have to be replace and he said that it is hard to get a matching valve body or get a new one which is very expensive.

He rebuilt the transmission with heavy duty seals, band and rings. He said that the hd rings comes with a sleeve or an outer ring (dont know what its called) that keeps the snap ring from coming off the slot and breaking.

The tranny shop has been around since 1977 and talked to some of the guys at work who lives in the area and they said that the shop is always busy. Hopefully, thats a good sign that he did all the work and the owner is trustworthy.

Cost $1100 for the regular rebuild and $1600 for the heavy duty.

Anyway, real happy with the work. If you have the same problem as I did with transmission not going in 4th gear when o/d on, and runs fine when o/d off, I suggest you have it check as soon as you can to avoid further damage.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the reply and info everyone!! And thanks for the updates 04lariatdriver.. I am getting my truck to the transmission shop as soon as I am able to get it down to where i want to take it..... My trusted transmission shop back home...As soon as i get it in there, and see what is wrong with it, I will post my repairs as well.... My transmission shop said if they had to completely rebuild the transmission, they would do it for me for around $1800 for a complete rebuild (Much better than the $3250 replacement from ford) lol ...

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem