Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmission oil change interval for 2008 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission oil change interval for 2008 4x4?

I haven't had this truck long, well, about 2 years. I know the previous owner had it as a company truck and all factory services were followed. Only problem, he (my son) didn't keep a log. I bought it at 147000 miles and I have 168000 on it now (2 years worth of diving). The vehicle probably hasn't actually been in 4 wheel drive more than 50 miles in its lifetime.

I looked through the owners manual and the various oils are listed, etc. but there are no service intervals listed. I plan on having the transmission fluid changed out [the oil looks practically new], but the non-ford service tech also said I should change out the rear differential.

What are the recommended (by y'all) on service intervals. I change the engine oil every 6000 with 5w20 Pennzoil full synthetic and the engine runs clean and Maybe needs a qt. added over that interval. The truck is pristine and was seldom off the highway except at some customer sites.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
TB
Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigerbeetle
I haven't had this truck long, well, about 2 years. I know the previous owner had it as a company truck and all factory services were followed. Only problem, he (my son) didn't keep a log. I bought it at 147000 miles and I have 168000 on it now (2 years worth of diving). The vehicle probably hasn't actually been in 4 wheel drive more than 50 miles in its lifetime.

I looked through the owners manual and the various oils are listed, etc. but there are no service intervals listed. I plan on having the transmission fluid changed out [the oil looks practically new], but the non-ford service tech also said I should change out the rear differential.

What are the recommended (by y'all) on service intervals. I change the engine oil every 6000 with 5w20 Pennzoil full synthetic and the engine runs clean and Maybe needs a qt. added over that interval. The truck is pristine and was seldom off the highway except at some customer sites.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
TB
Hi.

Wellsir - used vehicle, spotty service history - I'd change it immediately ( including a pan drop and filter change ) MerconV. No multi-use fluids unless it's Amsoil ATF. Now yer at a known state, maintenance-wise.

Straight Fluid exchange - no flushing/cleaning chemicals.

After that, if you tow heavy/frequently, change it every 30-50k. If not, 50k-60k or so. No more.

Just my opinion. I do mine every 30K - but I do tow ( as well as monitor trans temps). Relatively cheap insurance, I reckon.

good luck
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Do the rear end too... and if it's a limited slip don't forget the friction modifier..
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I will do as advised on the transmission and rear end.

TB
Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

I just do a pan drop transmission fluid change every year. Here's a thread on installing a pan plug, etc.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/transmi...206146/index2/

Last edited by 60DRB; 02-05-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 PM

I have my appointment set up with a local garage with good recommendations. Based on my annual mileage, I would be swapping every 10K miles. After I retied a little less than a year ago, my daily commute and general running around slacked off. Plus I tore my rotator cuff and my fishing and trap & skeet shooting took it in the ear. Hopefully by April I will get back to the shooting range and the boat in the water.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

If you're doing a pan drop anyways, do yourself a favor and buy the ford OEM pan they put on their E series vans. Its got a drain plug in it, so you can do future oil changes as often as you like with no mess. There is a thread on here somewhere about the procedure, its pretty straightforward. I did it to my 05 and would change the oil after any heavy towing, which was twice in the year I owned it.
The following users liked this post:
Tigerbeetle (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
If you're doing a pan drop anyways, do yourself a favor and buy the ford OEM pan they put on their E series vans. Its got a drain plug in it, so you can do future oil changes as often as you like with no mess. There is a thread on here somewhere about the procedure, its pretty straightforward. I did it to my 05 and would change the oil after any heavy towing, which was twice in the year I owned it.
I have a little boat that weighs less than a 1000 lbs all together, so I won't be doing any heavy towing. If I still had to drag my daughter's horse trailer (and horse) you betcha I would do as you suggest. Tigerbeetle
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I want to say I only paid like $80 brand new for the ford pan with the drain plug. If you plan on keeping your truck long term, its a cheap investment since it allows you to do an easy fluid exchange in your garage with little mess. Also allows you to change your filter whenever without dripping fluid all across your floor. Ford should have put the drain pan plug on as standard equipment, and I really wish my 2012 had that as well. This whole "lifetime fill" BS is exactly that, BS.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 60DRB
I just do a pan drop transmission fluid change every year.

x2.

Did this for two years. I think this year I'm just going to drain (I installed a plug) and refill. Getting to the point where I think the original fluid is pretty well diluted with fresh fluid, so I'm not going to change the filter every year.

Quick Reply: transmission oil change interval for 2008 4x4?