Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission issues

Well the truck is starting to have some slipping in 4th and its also shifting rough up and down. Checked the fluid last week and it was so low it wasn't even on the dip stick. I've been putting fluid in it so far I've put 3 quarts and it's still low.

Did I let the fluid get to low and it messed something up. Or do you think getting it back up to the normal level will fix it or atleast put a bandade on it. I'm going to autozone to get more fluid now. Anybody have any input I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by greenmudder
Well the truck is starting to have some slipping in 4th and its also shifting rough up and down. Checked the fluid last week and it was so low it wasn't even on the dip stick. I've been putting fluid in it so far I've put 3 quarts and it's still low.

Did I let the fluid get to low and it messed something up. Or do you think getting it back up to the normal level will fix it or atleast put a bandade on it. I'm going to autozone to get more fluid now. Anybody have any input I would really appreciate it.
You should be fine if you add fluid. Watch it though to make sure it stays up.

Oldrice-
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

First we have to assess why it was low, leak around the pan I take it? Probably want to drop the pan with a new gasket. After that we have to assume running low on fluid elevated the temperature of the fluid that's left in there. So doing a full exchange should be in order. After it has full new fluid, then you can see if it's still slipping. If you want you could add an ester based product in the new fluid to see if it helps.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM

No leaks around the pan. But you think my next step should be a transmission flush with new fluid
Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Ok bad news cottmans nor amco will do the flush because it has over 100k on it. It's at 113k I think. But I filled it back up with fluid and it's running better but still has a small slip in 4th.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues