Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmission issue no 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issue no 3rd gear

I need some help here. I have a 06 mark lt 5.4 4x4 and I'm having tranny issues. Everything was working great and when it went to shift it the rpms went way up like it got kicked into neutral. If I turn the overdrive button off I can drive it but at a higher rpm but still won't shift. My fluid is in great shape and full. I dropped the pan and there is no shavings in the pan. I dropped the valve body just to see if the snap ring broke on the servo. It's not. Not sure if it could be anything else or if it's the tranny. Hope someone can help out on this. Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM
supersky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the solenoids first, since it's the cheapest option. Since you are having issues with it shifting into 3rd, I would check the shift solenoids. I'm no transmission expert by any means and only know what I've dealt with, but that would be the first thing I'd check. I attached a pic of the 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoids. Check the prices on rockauto.com. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've checked. Hopefully this helps.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a new new shift control solenoid in and it still didn't help. Still doing the same thing. Now the overdrive light is flashing. And the message center says Trans malfunction. It's just weird how I can still drive it just won't shift into 3rd. When I dropped the pan there was no shavings at all and the fluid was like new. Any other options or thoughts anyone may have. Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM
supersky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had it scanned for codes? My O/D was flashing and the message center said trans fault, but mine was able to shift roughly through all the gears. My electronic pressure control solenoid went out so I swapped it out with a good one and all was fine until about a week later when it started having the same issues. In a last ditch effort before taking it to a transmission shop, I replaced all the solenoids and the internal wiring harness and haven't had any issues since. I think I spent $120 for everything. The codes that mine was throwing were P0748 and P0960. Sorry I couldn't really give a definitive reason as to what's causing your issue.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about transmissions will chime in and give you other options to try.

Quick Reply: transmission issue no 3rd gear