Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission issue: haven't seen it posted

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue: haven't seen it posted

Hey guys, I read te forum pretty regularly but rarely post as I can usually find the solution for most of my problems. I have an '04 Lariat, 5.4, 4x4 with 158,000. Never had any big transmissions issues out of it until today. I got home and went to back in and there was a "pop" when I went to give my truck gas. I put the truck back in park, turned it off and back on. The reverse DOES engage but when I give it gas the engine rev's and doesn't provide much power. All other gears are working and shifting just fine. O/D engages and disengages with no problems. Reverse is the only thing giving me a problem.

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Bump.

Took it to a transmission shop locally and they were no help. They said it could be a clutch plate (which I don't see being the case as no other gear slips, unless there are seperate plates for different gears) or the reverse gears are slipping/stripping. Just seems a tad off. If either one were the case I would suspect reverse would not function at all.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get problem figured out ? Have similar issue with my 04 Lariat. They told me it could be the sun shell gear or the reverse band .
Bought a used transmission and am in middle of making the switch to see if we have problem fixed .
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Sorry for the late response, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. The reverse band had gone bad and was wearing on many other gears
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

I wish I would have seen this earlier, I had the same problem with my truck. I was backing up my driveway and the truck started to coast forward. The "ear" that sticks off the reverse band broke off so the actuator had nothing to push against. Ended up rebuilding the entire transmission, only had 81k miles.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not trying to hijack but my truck only did this for about five minutes yesterday, from shifting 1-2, right when it shifts into 2 it would like bang. So much that it made the coins in the ashtray jump up. But it only did it for about five minutes yesterday, could my transmission be going out???
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F-150 freaak
Not trying to hijack but my truck only did this for about five minutes yesterday, from shifting 1-2, right when it shifts into 2 it would like bang. So much that it made the coins in the ashtray jump up. But it only did it for about five minutes yesterday, could my transmission be going out???

Keep an eye on it. I would maybe change out fluid progressively till it is all out. Follow the thread about installing a drain plug in the trans pan to do a gradual fluid change.

I'm doing it myself and am about to start changing over the fluid to synthetic gradually. It will probably take about 3-4 pan drops to get it all over to synthetic.

I did have mine shift hard into 2nd a few times. It was under light to moderate acceleration. I'm just keep an eye on it. My shifting is a little better though since I've done a couple fluid changed/pan drops in the last 2000 miles.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jp4lsu

Keep an eye on it. I would maybe change out fluid progressively till it is all out. Follow the thread about installing a drain plug in the trans pan to do a gradual fluid change.

I'm doing it myself and am about to start changing over the fluid to synthetic gradually. It will probably take about 3-4 pan drops to get it all over to synthetic.

I did have mine shift hard into 2nd a few times. It was under light to moderate acceleration. I'm just keep an eye on it. My shifting is a little better though since I've done a couple fluid changed/pan drops in the last 2000 miles.
Yea I noticed that the harder I accelerated the smoother it shifted. I don't really get the whole thing with the drain plug and all that other stuff. I would need a good write up to do it myself.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I started having the occasional hard slam a few weeks ago along with not so smooth shifting. Took it to dealer and they're telling me forward gear is going out. I don't know if they're spot on the problem but something is definitely going on. It has 115k on it and I will drive it till it drops.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F-150 freaak
Yea I noticed that the harder I accelerated the smoother it shifted. I don't really get the whole thing with the drain plug and all that other stuff. I would need a good write up to do it myself.
Especial86 did a right up on it. Quite a few people have followed suit. I've noticed a bit of a difference in shifting. Hopefully going over to synthetic here soon will extend the life a good bit.

Here is the link:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/transmi...h-pics-206146/

Quick Reply: Transmission issue: haven't seen it posted