Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission flush or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 PM
King ding a ling

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission flush or not?

My truck for the last year has had the drive line clunk issue. I haven't really worried about it because I drive my truck about 500 miles a month.

Now, my transmission sometimes slips. Not a lot or a real noticeable slip, but it does. When the truck is driving in cruise control on the highway, I feel it "skipping" here and there.

Also, if I drive the truck 100 miles or more straight, when I slow down back to city driving, the transmission is real notchy and slips some ( from heat, I'm sure).

My question is, do I flush it, or just wait for it to go boom and replace it? When I flush it, I will do greasing of the slip yoke to fix the clunk.

I'm worried if I do the flush, the transmission slips even more.

The truck has 106k miles btw.

Thoughts?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:25 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Take it to a good transmission shop that uses a LOW PRESSURE flush process.

Its been discussed back and forth as to flushing or not with a high mileage transmission for its first flush. I've had 3 trucks purchased, all with over 100K when purchased. My local transmission shop inspects the truck (pan drop) before they recommend a flush. Then they use a low pressure process, and remove ALL the fluid.

A pan drop and filter only gets about 4 to 5 quarts; your transmission has much more then that (torque converter, valve housing, transmission cooler).

A pan drop and top off is better than nothing, and if you do that every 4 to 6 months, you may eventually get all the old fluid replaced with clean fluid with the needed additives that help prevent slippage.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
A pan drop and top off is better than nothing, and if you do that every 4 to 6 months, you may eventually get all the old fluid replaced with clean fluid with the needed additives that help prevent slippage.
This would be my recommendation. That way, you're not "shocking" the transmission with completely new fluid. Little by little, the old fluid will work its way out.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM
King ding a ling

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I think I might just do a pan drop then and do it once a month for a while until I have all red fluid.

I work offshore and when I get off, I have to drive the truck 12 hours home. Usually I fly but this time I had to drive.

I think I'm going to do it before I leave. I have the tools in my truck to get it done.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 225
Thanks for the replies. I think I might just do a pan drop then and do it once a month for a while until I have all red fluid.

I work offshore and when I get off, I have to drive the truck 12 hours home. Usually I fly but this time I had to drive.

I think I'm going to do it before I leave. I have the tools in my truck to get it done.
Recommend getting this if you're going to drain regularly.
Amazon.com: Dorman 265-813 Transmission Pan with Drain Plug: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 265-813 Transmission Pan with Drain Plug: Automotive
Mine's going on this weekend

Quick Reply: Transmission flush or not?