Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmission fluid leaking into transfer case problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default transmission fluid leaking into transfer case problem???

I have heard that Ford has a problem with transmission fluid gradually leaking into the 4x4 transfer case, overfilling the transfer case and lowering the transmission fluid level. The fluid won't flow back into the transmission because the seal between it and the transfer case will let the fluid leak in only one direction. If so, apparently Ford is keeping it hush hush, unless people ask about it specifically at the dealership. Is this true? Has anyone had this problem? My powertrain warranty is expiring in the near future, and I don't want to face a major problem after it's expired.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Sure enough, folks, my brother's '06 just got fixed. His transmission fluid was a bit low, and the transfer case level was higher than the fill hole. He paid his $50 deductible, and it's fixed. The dealer that repaired it said that about 10% of these trucks will experience this problem. So guys, check your fluid levels regularly in both the transmission and the transfer case. That's the only way you can tell, if you don't see any oil leaks on the outside. You could be saving yourself a big headache.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine fixed a few weeks ago. These typically seep very slowly so it's not always an easy catch or a quick diagnosis when you suspect it.

Ford Master Mechanic at my shop had a clever way to confirm the diagnosis for vehicles that have been topped off and had xs transfer case fluid drained already.

He elevated the only the front end on the lift and started it up. Gravity + pressure filled the transfer case much more rapidly than typical driving would.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by jhight
Had mine fixed a few weeks ago. These typically seep very slowly so it's not always an easy catch or a quick diagnosis when you suspect it.

Ford Master Mechanic at my shop had a clever way to confirm the diagnosis for vehicles that have been topped off and had xs transfer case fluid drained already.

He elevated the only the front end on the lift and started it up. Gravity + pressure filled the transfer case much more rapidly than typical driving would.
How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking? I changed my oil today and checked the trans fluid noticed it was reading at the cold level while running so I believe it's low.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Was it only '06, or all of 04 to 08. My warranty is up in June.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by northern pointer
Sure enough, folks, my brother's '06 just got fixed. His transmission fluid was a bit low, and the transfer case level was higher than the fill hole. He paid his $50 deductible, and it's fixed. The dealer that repaired it said that about 10% of these trucks will experience this problem. So guys, check your fluid levels regularly in both the transmission and the transfer case. That's the only way you can tell, if you don't see any oil leaks on the outside. You could be saving yourself a big headache.
Did he happen to say what the total cost would have been if he did not have the warranty?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM

My 06 SCrew 4X4 is in the shop right for this exact issue. So glad I stumbled upon this post because with no visible leak you would have never known.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 AM

It was approx $600. Repaired under powertrain warranty.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Mine is an '08. My brother first told me about this, and suggested I keep an eye on my truck. So I guess he was saying it's over the '04-'08 range. Checked mine today, and transmission is a bit low, and when I removed the plug on the transfer case a wee bit drained out. I'll have to check with him if that's enough to get it looked at.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Figured this out today too. I have been noticing my truck was shifting badly and feeling like it was cutting out. I incorrectly pulled the filler plug for the transfer case (mis read the manual) and it gushed fluid. I checked the tranny and it was down a lot, I had to put in about a quart and a half. A mechanic friend said I need to replace the seal between the tranny and transfer case. Also, the fluid will need to be changed because it looks really dark. Anyhow, I am pretty pissed about this because my truck has 68,000 and I think the power train warranty expires at 5 years or 60k. Anyhow, I think I need to change the seal like you guys did. I am so mad about this...Ford needs to stand tall no this.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid leaking into transfer case problem???