Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission fluid and friction additive

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission fluid and friction additive

I'm sure this questions have been asked before, but I want the latest opinions.

So, what do you folks using these days and does it make sense to add some friction additive? And, what brand do you use?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

No additives in the transmission. Not a good idea...
Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Just use regular ole mecron v. Few different brands out there.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 AM

Thank you guys!
So Mercon V it is.

How about some well known additive that works? I felt as mine is slipping a little when under-load. What I mean by that is let's say I'm cruising at 65 MPH with a small trailer less than 2K LBS. I can't seem to stay at that speed in OD. The tranny wants to shift down and during this time I can hear it whines which sounds like a strip rumble unless I accelerate quickly.
In my conlusion I think the torque converter is tired and lazy, so I wonder if some friction additive may help the situation. What do you think?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
Thank you guys!
So Mercon V it is.

How about some well known additive that works? I felt as mine is slipping a little when under-load. What I mean by that is let's say I'm cruising at 65 MPH with a small trailer less than 2K LBS. I can't seem to stay at that speed in OD. The tranny wants to shift down and during this time I can hear it whines which sounds like a strip rumble unless I accelerate quickly.
In my conlusion I think the torque converter is tired and lazy, so I wonder if some friction additive may help the situation. What do you think?
Overdrive should be disabled when towing anything, even if its "small". As for additives, some people have had good results but the general consensus seems to be stay away from them and just run a good quality mercon v.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

how many miles do you have on your plugs? A miss feels a lot like a hard downshift, bucking
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

When I owned my 2008 Limited F150 I used Chevron's Mercon V. I didn't use any additives BUT I've seen quite a few people use Lucas transmission additive. It is supper thick but the people that I've seen use it swear to it. They said that it helped their transmission when they were experiencing slight slippage. IMO, I believe it to only be a temporary band aide prolonging the inevitable.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by technokami
Overdrive should be disabled when towing anything, even if its "small". As for additives, some people have had good results but the general consensus seems to be stay away from them and just run a good quality mercon v.
So, OD should be disable whenever in tow no matter how small? This is new to me. Had a Tundra before and never had to disable the OD when in tow.

When I owned my 2008 Limited F150 I used Chevron's Mercon V. I didn't use any additives BUT I've seen quite a few people use Lucas transmission additive. It is supper thick but the people that I've seen use it swear to it. They said that it helped their transmission when they were experiencing slight slippage. IMO, I believe it to only be a temporary band aide prolonging the inevitable.
Thanks, I don't feel any slippage except when in OD. I may try some Lucas and see how that is going to react.

how many miles do you have on your plugs? A miss feels a lot like a hard downshift, bucking.
Plugs are 66K miles. It's definitely not miss fired. It's only happens when going from OD to third, and the duration is short and if I press the throttle harder it will shift immediately.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
So, OD should be disable whenever in tow no matter how small?
Exactly, its helps prevent excessive wear on the transmission.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by technokami
Exactly, its helps prevent excessive wear on the transmission.

News to me. I tow my 17 ft bass boat all the time in OD. If it's not frequently coming in/out of OD, so don't see how its causing excessive wear...?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid and friction additive