Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default transmission fluid

Have you guys changed ur tranny fluid?? I was doing some reading and evidently starting in 2004 ford used a type of oil you never had to change??? Is that true or something my mind made up while i was reading?? I had mine changed when i bought the truck becuz im petite about that stuff.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if that is true or not, but with my 2005 truck with 80,000 miles on it; I have taken the precaution of changing the fluid. In my opinion, cheap insurance on keeping the mechanical part of the truck working in tip-top shape......
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a simular question but hadn't gotten around to asking it
I just bought a 08 and USUALLY the first thing I do after buying a vehicle is change ALL fluids to synthetic. I changed my motor oil to mobil 1, but not sure what other fluids to use yet. I know the trans fluid should be due for a change
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowtorch
I just bought a 08 and USUALLY the first thing I do after buying a vehicle is change ALL fluids to synthetic. I changed my motor oil to mobil 1, but not sure what other fluids to use yet. I know the trans fluid should be due for a change
I asked specifically what oils I should use for mine and heard Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I'm about to change diff oil (front and rear) and tranny and transfer case fluid. I've never heard the fluid never needs to be changed. Check the owners manual for the maintenance recommendations
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had mine changed about 20,000 miles ago i also changed my oil from valvoline to mobil 1
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowtorch

Good call. To the op, I would absolutely service the transmission. Look on just this forum and witness for yourself the number of transmission problems at 120,000 or more miles. You wanna spend the big bucks?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I advise changing it. Maybe not running the full flush from the shops if there's anything going on with it. If it's running fine then there shouldn't be an issue running a full flush. I had goodyear recommend I didn't get the flush from them when I took mine in. (I thought the transmission was slipping but ended up being an intermittent misfire). But they told me if anything is going on with it a flush from a shop can make the whole thing go out.

Last edited by tareed94; 03-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tareed94
I advise changing it. Maybe not running the full flush from the shops if there's anything going on with it. If it's running fine then there shouldn't be an issue running a full flush. I had goodyear recommend I didn't get the flush from them when I took mine in. (I thought the transmission was slipping but ended up being an intermittent misfire). But they told me if anything is going on with it a flush from a shop can make the whole thing go out.
Agreed with the no tranny flush unless you have regular service records that it has been done on a schedule. My son had his trans flushed thinking he was doing the right thing and $$$$ later he found out he was wrong. Safer to change it and put a new filter on, even though not all of the fluid gets swapped out.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I am a big fan of the drop the pan and change the filter method. I won't be flushing anything. Just increase the interval that you change the fluid and slowly flush everything out rather than the reverse flush method. Its been known to put metal flakes into things that shouldn't have metal flakes in them LOL
Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't get a flush done but I would recommend a fluid transfer along with dropping the pan and changing the filter. A transfer is just hooking it up to a machine and using the transmission pump to pump the old fluid out and pull new fluid in. Doing it this way replaces all 15 quarts of fluid instead of the 5 or 6 you get out from just dropping the pan.

Another way to do it is disconnecting the tranny line that goes into the cooler on the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
'08f150stx (03-30-2013)

Quick Reply: transmission fluid