Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transfer Case Whine/Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Whine/Squeal

Good day all,

2006 F150 XTR 5.4L 4x4 71,000 miles

I have read a bit about this topic, but I think my problem is a bit more narrowed down and would like some education.

I had my rear diff bearings and seals done (as well as a trans case output seal) about 3 weeks ago. I brought it back because the next day the truck was making a squealing sound that was noticeable at speeds under 40 mph and would go away (or not noticeable above 55 mph). The sound would climb, or drop in pitch depending on the speed of the vehicle, even in N. It would begin from a dead stop while accelerating. I thought it could be wheel bearings, or U-joints so I had a tech check them both. He narrowed it down to the U-joint. I told him to pull them, but when he did they seemed to be in working order and ran the truck again without the driveshaft. He said the sound seems to be coming from the output of the transfer case. I am waiting for a tranny guy to look at it on Monday.

I tow a trailer weighing about 5000 lbs fully loaded about 1500 - 2000 miles for the last couple of years and I know the previous owner used it for towing as well.

Can it be the output bearing on the transfer case? I also read on here it could be a bearing in the transmission.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Subd

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Whine/Squeal