Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans problems need some help, delays shifting to reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problems need some help, delays shifting to reverse

2005 f150 XLT 5.4l, I just recently had my trans serviced by the dealership, they also changed the TCC solenoid which they said was causing my trans fault. I picked the truck up and the service manager told me the solenoid had to learn the transmission so the light may come on again, is this true? I feel like it's a load of bs.

Also it now delays shifting to reverse only when the truck has been driven for a while and is warmed up. If I put it in reverse and take my foot off the brake it very very very slowly creeps backwards. If I push the gas it's like there is a pause then it catches and does fine.

It also does the same thing when taking off in 1st gear from a dead stop except the pause isn't as near as long and when I go into reverse.

Help please I'm stumped.

Also I took it back the next day with a different service manager working and he starts to tell me how f***ed up my transmission is. How the performance shift kit in it messed everything up, he asked the tech to look at my truck. And then claims to tell me the fluid is burnt already with 130 miles on it, I had a couple people smell the fluid and every one of them said it looks good no burn. Is this manager trying to **** me over because he thinks I know nothing about trucks?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Does it make a thunk noise

If they took the drive shaft out and reinstalled it without lube, it will hang up a little slipping in and out of the trans, makes it seem like it delays engaging and then kind of thumps or clunks when it starts to move. As far as the rest I don't know, but it sound kinda fishy.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM

I don't know if they did anything with the drive shaft. I plan on laying next to the truck and getting someone to put it in reverse and see if the drive shaft is free spinning
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM

The shaft slips in and out of the trans when the pinion moves. Grease the splines and it will take care of it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:52 PM

I don't have my truck with me now but I remember looking under it yesterday and it had a small part of the shaft that goes into the trans that looked like it had no grease it was shinny
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 AM

Default search for

search for clunk when accelerating from complete stop. That will get you to all kinds of info about this problem.

Donald
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM

It doesn't make a clunk noise it's like it just catches and goes
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Our trucks have a known issue with the reverse band. If caught early it can be repaired, not cheap but cheaper then replacing or rebuilding the trans. Sounds just as you describe

Quick Reply: Trans problems need some help, delays shifting to reverse