Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Trans issues

So I have a 2006 with the 5.4L engine and auto trans. Mods include Volant intake, super chips programmer and flowmaster exhaust. In 2013 the trans gave up had a used one put in that also was bad. So a remanned one was put in. Now three weeks ago the remanned one gave up the ghost. I had one that I had rebuilt in 2013 so that one got swapped in ($1000 job just to swap). But the overdrive isn't working, when it shifts into overdrive it's like it's in neutral. I've read that it may be as simple as a snap ring that broke and has pieces in the valve body, a trans shop is going to look at it on Monday. Has anyone else have as many problems with their transmissions or is it me? I don't tow, don't drive like a douche I'm at a loss I love the truck but I also have 3 kids and can't be constantly worried if we are going to be stuck somewhere.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortunately I have not had as many problems as you have but I have had that snap ring break and lost OD. It's honestly not that bad of a job to do yourself, just make sure you do a thorough job of cleaning out the broken pieces and don't drop the check ***** out of their spots in the valve body. And oh yeah if you try it yourself make sure you have a big drain pan cause dropping the valve body will almost entirely drain the tranny
Old 06-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the response I usually like to at least try things myself but I don't trust myself with transmissions
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Ford truck and Stihl saws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snap ring

Yep you have researched well. I had the same problem last month. played with it a bit looked it up and I was right. It is probably the middle servo retainer ring this is a common problem. To fix it you drop the pan unbolt the valve body keep it level there are bbs in it that can get away. The ring will be sheared so you have to work at it with picks to drop it out. Then install the new one. You may have to use picks to move a band on top before. Then pull the chunk out of the valve body clean install fill with fluid turn on finish filling, done. I took it in and asked to watch. As for the other issues while you are doing this I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you look into getting a new separator plate they tend to crack where the reverse servo is. The shop that did my ordered a Sonnax super thick plate. This prevents it from being cracked and sending metal through the trans. They can also recommend a shift kit with heavy duty parts which pretty much is an overhaul. I did all of this it cost $700 out the door with discount. As for the other transmissions talk to a shop about it. I knew a guy who had a different brand truck that ate transmissions it was an improper length drive shaft. That was stock height but very common on big lifted trucks. With only 3 wks on a remand they should cover that though. Unrelated but make sure you custom tune when running a tuner and cai. Good luck
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Well truck is at the trans shop and it wasn't the snap ring mechanic was thinking maybe it was an actuator but turns out it's not that either. He said when he took it out for a test drive and had it hooked up to the computer it wasn't shifting into 3rd,4th or OD. Now he's going through and seeing if a check ball or something else was put in wrong when it was rebuilt. So the truck is back in the shop for I don't know how long and my bank account is getting smaller by the hour. But I'm still above the dirt and have a great family 😊
Old 07-03-2015, 02:12 AM

Update. Talked to the trans shop this evening and found out that the overdrive band had been installed backwards and there was no seals put in on the overdrive piston causing the lack of pressure for 3rd and 4th gear. Hopefully it will be back together soon and be back home.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:36 AM

So I got my truck back running awesome right now. Was told there were three bolts missing and the rest were removed by hand, the crossmember and 4 wheel drive weren't bolted back up either. My question is what parts should I buy to rebuild the other transmission that I have I want to build it up with quality parts and make it stronger. Any suggestions

Quick Reply: Trans issues