Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

trans fluid change questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default trans fluid change questions

I have an 05 5.4 scab with 110k and the transmission hasn't ever been touched. I am wondering what the best things todo are and what I will need any help? thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

I have an '04 with 235,000 and have been asking people this same question. Mostly I've asked people who have serviced their own vehicles over the years and they say if it aint burnt or if your not having issues then leave it alone.

Personally I am not real comfortable with those answers but what do the rest of you think?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Try this...
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/transmi...46/?styleid=14
The following users liked this post:
Hawkester (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
thankss
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkester
I have an '04 with 235,000 and have been asking people this same question. Mostly I've asked people who have serviced their own vehicles over the years and they say if it aint burnt or if your not having issues then leave it alone.

Personally I am not real comfortable with those answers but what do the rest of you think?
My answer would be the same. At this point it's taking a gamble, you do or you don't and run the risk of problems. Right now you have nutrient rich friction disc clutch material fluid holding the transmission together and not having any problems with shifting. If you perform a fluid flush and filter change, you can possibly have shifting issues(harsh, delayed, slipping,etc) being as you have just cleaned your transmission of all that old fluid assisting the smooth operation of your transmission as components do wear out over time. Kinda like filling in the gap so to speak. I'm not saying you have big particles or pieces floating around inside, that's why you have a filter and pan magnet. And of course any fluid breaks down over time as well from what it's designed to do. By this point it's not going to be a reddish color, it will appear to be slightly on the brown side but if your fluid is dark brown or smells burnt, its probably not a good idea to change it.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

the idea of leaving the trans alone seems to be pretty common but to me changing the fluid out isn't going to cause problems, it's going to bring existing problems to light. that might be splitting hairs a little but I would change it out in the way Especial86 goes about it... with a few changes to dilute as much of the old oil in there and get some cleaning action out of the new oil.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

if your fluid is dark brown or smells burnt, its probably not a good idea to change it. Wow...
Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Subbd so I can find this article later!!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by GraveDigger85
My answer would be the same. At this point it's taking a gamble, you do or you don't and run the risk of problems. Right now you have nutrient rich friction disc clutch material fluid holding the transmission together and not having any problems with shifting. If you perform a fluid flush and filter change, you can possibly have shifting issues(harsh, delayed, slipping,etc) being as you have just cleaned your transmission of all that old fluid assisting the smooth operation of your transmission as components do wear out over time. Kinda like filling in the gap so to speak. I'm not saying you have big particles or pieces floating around inside, that's why you have a filter and pan magnet. And of course any fluid breaks down over time as well from what it's designed to do. By this point it's not going to be a reddish color, it will appear to be slightly on the brown side but if your fluid is dark brown or smells burnt, its probably not a good idea to change it.
I'm sorry but this is false.. Not changing the fluid is a terrible idea. The fluid does break down overtime. It gets diluted with contaminants in suspension, decreases lubricity, does not cool as efficiently and causes hang ups in solenoid function and blockages throughout the system, and valve body.. I see no benefits to leaving old worn fluid in any transmission or transfer case. The myth that a tranny is being "held together" by contaminated fluid is absolutely just a myth. The reality is that most people tend to wait for the issues to start popping up, and then they decide to change the fluid. In many cases failure can be prevented from fresh fluid changes alone.....
Don't wait for the warning signs, always change your fluid at least every 30,000 miles... If you follow the info in the thread I linked, you will see its likely the safest way to cleans a Trans, and restore cooling and flow efficiency.. Power flushing is NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL..
Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
I'm sorry but this is false.. Not changing the fluid is a terrible idea. The fluid does break down overtime. It gets diluted with contaminants in suspension, decreases lubricity, does not cool as efficiently and causes hang ups in solenoid function and blockages throughout the system, and valve body.. I see no benefits to leaving old worn fluid in any transmission or transfer case. The myth that a tranny is being "held together" by contaminated fluid is absolutely just a myth. The reality is that most people tend to wait for the issues to start popping up, and then they decide to change the fluid. In many cases failure can be prevented from fresh fluid changes alone.....
Don't wait for the warning signs, always change your fluid at least every 30,000 miles... If you follow the info in the thread I linked, you will see its likely the safest way to cleans a Trans, and restore cooling and flow efficiency.. Power flushing is NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL..
+1

Would you take the same approach to your engine oil?

Do the especial method. Dropping the pan, cleaning, and refill leaves some old fluid and adds some new, and doing that method is best no matter if its the first change at 30k or 100k. I would never flush it. You ever smelled that stuff they use?

Quick Reply: trans fluid change questions