Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans Fault / OD Off Light Flashing / No Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fault / OD Off Light Flashing / No Throttle

I have a 2006 F150 Ext Cab pickup with a 4.6 V8 and Automatic Overdrive Transmission

Over the last 2 months there have been several instances where I would start the truck up and there would be a Trans Fault in the LCD display and the “Overdrive Off” light would be flashing.

When this happens there is only a very remote throttle response in all the moving gears.

But in Park & Neutral the throttle response is normal. I have noticed that this happens after a drive & then a short stop.

After a few times of this happening the check engine light came on. I took it to a Auto Repair shop that I trust and they Changed the Transmission Fluid & Changed the Transmission Filter.

They Inspected the Inside of the Transmission for mechanical Wear or Damage and found none.

They tried to get it to do the same for them;but,to no avail. Checked the Check Engine codes.

Got about 17 transmission codes. They cleared the codes and asked me to bring it back.

I havnt yet ;but it went about2 weeks before repeating this;without the check engine light.

I noticed this time though that ;even though I shut it off. I noticed after a few minutes that the tach jumped a little in the ccw direction.

I started the truck and the Trans Fault as well as the Flashing OD Off light was gone. Another five days passed .It Done it again. Out of the Blue as always.

I did notice that if I disconnect the battery for 20 seconds it resets the alarms as well and goes back to normal.

I thought it was the transmission at 1st ;but, its normal at all other times so I am convinced it is not the transmission.

Of course with all this new Fly by wire stuff......who Knows

Does anyone have experience with this and hopefully a resolution ?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You never took out the trans right? I would assume not but I did on mine and pinched the wire between the trans and motor. Might want to check that out just incase a wire got smashed or is shorting itself out.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

It don't pop trans codes for no reason and the OD light is tell you something wrong with the trans...ECM is not letting you put power to it IE... no throttle response...take it to a transmission shop.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Sounds like a tricky one. Have you tried little things like making sure the shifter is completely seated in park. Check wire connections at the throttle body, transmission, computer, even at the battery... (Check for breaks), chafing wires, corrosion on wires and connections.

Does the vehicle drive absolutely normal when it is running good, or is something a little different with how its been running overall.

Quick Reply: Trans Fault / OD Off Light Flashing / No Throttle