Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans fault/OD flashing will not shift to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fault/OD flashing will not shift to 2nd

I have a 2004 F150 5.4l with 136k. Recently the transmission slipped down to 1st and RPM went up. It will not shift back to 2nd unless I turn off overdrive. It still hesitates to shift but it will go up to 50 mph, I haven't pushed it past that. Trans Fault will show on display and the OD Off will blink. A buddy suggested I change the trans fluid, filter, and TCC solenoid. I took it down to O'Reilly's to check the codes to be sure but I guess their computer does not read for trans codes??? I went ahead and took my buddy's advice but it is still doing the same thing. Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

You need to scan the codes and get them so you have a better understanding of whats going on... my edge scanndd my trans.. not sure if any scanner can.. i think they should be able to
Old 09-06-2015, 05:31 PM

I would think the scanner at the auto parts store would be able to read codes from the trans but two different stores were not able to. I will have to take it to my work to have someone there check on Tuesday.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Got the code today, the only one it showed was P0732. After doing some research it could be the shift solenoid (which I replaced the TCC solenoid ) or a wiring issue, possibly the solenoid harness. Worst case scenario would be internal gear failure but I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point. I guess I am going to try to replace the shift solenoid and test the harness to see if that works. Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

p0732 - Incorrect Second Gear Ratio

basically this means the PCM is commanding second gear and did not detect an RPM change that indicates the transmission shifted.

IF there was an electrical failure you would have additional codes stored for that circuit. Since there are no other codes stored, there is an internal mechanical failure. It is VERY common for these transmissions to break the 1-2 accumulator lower spring.

It is also possible there a stuck shift valve in the valve body.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
p0732 - Incorrect Second Gear Ratio

basically this means the PCM is commanding second gear and did not detect an RPM change that indicates the transmission shifted.

IF there was an electrical failure you would have additional codes stored for that circuit. Since there are no other codes stored, there is an internal mechanical failure. It is VERY common for these transmissions to break the 1-2 accumulator lower spring.

It is also possible there a stuck shift valve in the valve body.

Hey. My truck is having almost identical issues. I got a trans flush but haven’t taken it in yet. It’s like it has no idea when to shift into 2nd. It almost always misses, sometimes it will slam. I attached my codes. Does this look electrical or mechanical? Thanks
Old 09-02-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tenshooter
Got the code today, the only one it showed was P0732. After doing some research it could be the shift solenoid (which I replaced the TCC solenoid ) or a wiring issue, possibly the solenoid harness. Worst case scenario would be internal gear failure but I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point. I guess I am going to try to replace the shift solenoid and test the harness to see if that works. Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
You said that you changed the filter and fluid. Were there any pieces of metal in the pan and how did the fluid smell? Was it very dark colour?
Old 09-02-2022, 10:44 AM

Shop that did the trans flush said the Trans fluid was clean. No mention of shards of metal
Old 08-05-2023, 11:19 AM

Default Same issue

Please tell me you fixed the problemand it was an easy fix causeIam cluelessandgoing broke trying to fix it
Originally Posted by tenshooter
s
Old 11-19-2023, 09:24 AM

Default Transmission problems

Originally Posted by hohmann11

Hey. My truck is having almost identical issues. I got a trans flush but haven’t taken it in yet. It’s like it has no idea when to shift into 2nd. It almost always misses, sometimes it will slam. I attached my codes. Does this look electrical or mechanical? Thanks
I have a 2008 f-150 5.4 that I recently replaced the transmission in and when I tried to shift into drive it didn't do anything . The display says transmission malfunction . I have no idea what the issue could be . It didn't move more then 10 feet . I would appreciate any thoughts on what the issue maybe

Quick Reply: Trans fault/OD flashing will not shift to 2nd