Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans Fault message

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Fault message

This morning about 3 miles into my 4 mile commute I noticed TRANS FAULT where I see low fuel weekly…

At about 68K miles my transmission started to slip and then totally took a crap, it was out of warranty and cost me $2500 bucks. I had my local guy do it, much cheaper than the dealer. Now I am at 90k miles and since the transmission cost me $2500 I’m kinda freaking out.

Fluid looks ok, level and color, I seem to have cleared the error my pushing the trip button on the dash. Truck runs without issues as far as I can tell… I called my local guy and I am waiting to hear back.

A little research says it could be a heat sensor or the whole transmission. I don’t tow anything, but it is lifted 6 inches on 35’s.

I can’t spend another $2500, the new transmission is under a ford warranty I believe for 30,000 miles.

Any thought are greatly appreciated.
Thx
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you running an Edge tuner? If so.. I did some research after running into this issue myself and it seems that this tends to happen occasionally with the edge tuners. I read that flashing your truck back to the stock tune and running it for ~30 miles or so and then flashing back to your preferred tune will resolve this issue. It seems that the edge tuner doesn't fully erase the ECM all the way which can cause an issue like this. I had the problem once and haven't had it since.. knock on wood. I.. like you.. did not experience limp mode when this happen which made me feel a little better about the entire situation. Hopefully this is the case and it will help ya out. Otherwise.. I hope they cover it for ya.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM

THx Jono replying, no I am not using an Edge tuner, I didnt event know what it was so I googled it, ohh thank god for google! I am an IT/IS guy so I understand Flashing and changing BIOS setting. I talked to my local guy and I still under warranty. I am taking it to him later today. I just drove it again and it seemed fine.. URG. I hope he can make sure there's nothing wrong.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Update it doesnt not do it on the freeway ever, at stops lights about 50 percent of the time. My mechanic thinks it a heat sensor

Quick Reply: Trans Fault message