Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans. Cooler problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans. Cooler problems ?

2007 5.4 screw 4 spd Automatic 125K miles.

I have noticed the last few months when I do a 1/2 to 1 hr. drive in typical 45 mph traffic or redlight town traffic my radiator fan rpm will run real high. I have even gotten the Trans fault error code one time just as I was parking and shutting off the truck. Tonight I put about 12 miles on the truck with no problems. I was checking something under the hood and looked over the trans cooler. Both lines and the cooler were cool like the truck was not even driven.
My dad has same model truck. I called him up and he went out and drove same amount of miles and checked his. Both lines were warm as I would have expected.
Is there a sensor or T-stat that opens the cooler that could be bad on mine ? or what could I be looking at. I would think if there was a clog one line would be warm and one cool not both cool.

Thanks for help
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by jace57
2007 5.4 screw 4 spd Automatic 125K miles.

I have noticed the last few months when I do a 1/2 to 1 hr. drive in typical 45 mph traffic or redlight town traffic my radiator fan rpm will run real high. I have even gotten the Trans fault error code one time just as I was parking and shutting off the truck. Tonight I put about 12 miles on the truck with no problems. I was checking something under the hood and looked over the trans cooler. Both lines and the cooler were cool like the truck was not even driven.
My dad has same model truck. I called him up and he went out and drove same amount of miles and checked his. Both lines were warm as I would have expected.
Is there a sensor or T-stat that opens the cooler that could be bad on mine ? or what could I be looking at. I would think if there was a clog one line would be warm and one cool not both cool.

Thanks for help
Hi.

Yep - there is a bypass valve block in between the trans and the cooler(s). The purpose of which is to allow the trans to warm up to normal operating temp ( ~170 degrees) more quickly. They do, on occasion, fail.

Follow the lines from the trans forward and you'll see it.

Looks like item #4 here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FORD-OEM-7L3Z...item1e820188d5

Good luck!
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 04-21-2014 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans. Cooler problems ?