Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans cooler line bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trans cooler line bypass valve

Evening all!

07 SCREW 5.4

My trans cooler lines rusted through, so I spent a good long time in the garage today snaking new ones down that tight space.

My dealer decided to disconnect the lines from the bypass valve so it'd take up less room on the shelf (as the sections could be sorta stacked), but couldn't tell me what orientation the valve went on the truck - i.e. - which was up or down / which part of the bypass valve is on the output & which is on the return line.

I scoured the forums & the internet trying to find a picture of the bypass valve installed on the lines & was a little surprised that I couldn't find one at all, so I have it in the truck right now with the c-clip & little nipple-looking piece facing down (on return line).

Any chance someone could look under their truck & let me know if this is the correct orientation (or if it even matters?) & maybe even take a pic & upload it?

While I was doing all of this I knew I was low on ATF due to the really big puddle under the truck this morning, so dropped the pan to replace the filter then used the info from this forum to do a fluid swap (disconnected return at trans cooler into bucket, not too bad at all).

Thanks all!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I know for a fact that the snap ring is on the bottom end. What I don't know is which side faces forward or backward, of if it even matters. That part is actually the transmission thermostat that opens at 150* to let ATF reach the trans coolers up front.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
I know for a fact that the snap ring is on the bottom end. What I don't know is which side faces forward or backward, of if it even matters. That part is actually the transmission thermostat that opens at 150* to let ATF reach the trans coolers up front.
Yeah I didn't even think to ask front-to-back direction (I know one side has "made in Canada" & some other info on it & the other side is blank).

I'm "guessing" that since it's heat controlled it really shouldn't matter?
Old 11-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Timber Baron

I looked at mine and couldn't find any writing. Doesn't look like it is directional.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Doesn't it circulate fluid bypassing the cooler(s) until the fluid reached a certain temp? So it must be directional. Maybe your dealer parts dept could look it up for you.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Doesn't it circulate fluid bypassing the cooler(s) until the fluid reached a certain temp? So it must be directional. Maybe your dealer parts dept could look it up for you.
That was the first thing I asked when I picked it up...all they could pull up was the same PDF I can pull up online which shows nothing...
Old 11-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Timber Baron

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
I don't think it matters as long as the hot line is on top, with the snap ring end of the housing at the bottom. The thermostat will open no matter which 'side' the hot fluid comes from.

Am I correct in thinking that when the t-stat is closed, fluid gets recirculated to the trans from the t-stat housing? Otherwise hot fluid would never get to the t-stat.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Since I still had the old one I decided to find out for sure by cutting it in half (was too rusted in to just pop the plunger out). It is not directional & is heat controlled like a thermostat (not pressure, like some of the other threads). I doubt it would even matter which side is up, as there's springs on both sides & the hot fluid would go around the plunger either way (I did install it like the factory with the circlip/nipple pointing down).

In the pic, it is more or less 2/3 up in the "hot" position. The block is aluminum & was really hot when I got it apart, so the plunger rose on the pin just like if it was in the truck. It goes a bit higher & will totally seal off the center channel & open up the bottom hole a lot more (I just didn't hold it like that for the pic).

Hope it helps someone.
The following 2 users liked this post by StewPidass0:
JD4x4 (12-19-2022), Toshbar (11-13-2015)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

i think it is about to help me.... hehe

Quick Reply: Trans cooler line bypass valve