Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tranny Shudder on a 07??

Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Shudder on a 07??

I've got an 07 with a 5.4 V8. I've found a lot of guys with the same problem but am unsure which avenue to pursue.

When in overdrive, and at low RPM, if I slightly increase the gas to the point where it is almost bogging down and just about to the point of downshift it shudders really badly. It used to do it very rarely, but has been getting more frequent and harder.Also, my other concern is when pulling my bass boat it is starting to do it with OD off as well, but still at low RPM's.

I've got an Edge Programmer and have usually run it on the number 2 setting, but have tried level one and am now back to stock settings. It seems to have lightened up but still does it.

From what I have found, half of the cases it is the Torque Converter, and the other half seems to be coils. I can't quite tell which could be the culprit. Is there anything I can do to try to figure out which it might be. Also, maybe a different setting on the programmer like changing the lock points or firmness??

Hopefully one of you can help me out here, I appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the easiest way to figure out if its the trans is to take it to a shop. They have the machines to check it there. The shop I used charged $40 to check. Hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue with my truck. I plan to do the plugs first and go fron there.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jackson Ryley
I've got an 07 with a 5.4 V8. I've found a lot of guys with the same problem but am unsure which avenue to pursue.

When in overdrive, and at low RPM, if I slightly increase the gas to the point where it is almost bogging down and just about to the point of downshift it shudders really badly. It used to do it very rarely, but has been getting more frequent and harder.Also, my other concern is when pulling my bass boat it is starting to do it with OD off as well, but still at low RPM's.

I've got an Edge Programmer and have usually run it on the number 2 setting, but have tried level one and am now back to stock settings. It seems to have lightened up but still does it.

From what I have found, half of the cases it is the Torque Converter, and the other half seems to be coils. I can't quite tell which could be the culprit. Is there anything I can do to try to figure out which it might be. Also, maybe a different setting on the programmer like changing the lock points or firmness??

Hopefully one of you can help me out here, I appreciate it.
I'm about 99% sure your problem is plugs and/or coils. My gfs truck went through the same thing and now mine is too.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i think I answered my own question. This may be wrong but I remembered I can watch the spark rate on my edge programmer. I'm not exactly sure what the number represents but when cruising down the highway the number stays steady at 30-32. When it would shutter than number dropped for a second or two all the way to 8 or 9, even 1 and 2 when it did it real bad. Then the shutter stopped and it went right back up to 30. This was the only time that number dropped. Even when it downshifted smoothly it didn't change. Looks like I'm going to be ordering a removal tool, anyone have one they'd sell cheap??

Also, does anyone have any experience with the cheaper coils on Ebay? I hate to be a tight a** but its 25% the price of OEM. Seems like one of those deals thats almost too good to be true but if they work why not??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Shudder on a 07??