Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tranny and MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny and MAF

I have taken my truck in for service because it feels like it slips at low speeds. It maybe just me and thats how the new trucks shift. If I am going 30mph and I hit the gas, it lags or seems likeit slips. Almost like a bad U joint but there isnt any bang. It also has no problem at high speeds other than falling on its face. I assumed the 5.4 would have more nutz than it does. I am disappointed with this Ford and i have been a Ford lover from the start.

The second issue is falling on its face. I changed the air filter because it was dirty (bought the truck used, 43k on it). I cleaned the MAF or what I thought was cleaning it. I assume the MAF element was the little black square going into the side of the air box on top of the motor. I also did the relearn and it didnt help the truck falling on its face.

Any help or suggestions or did I buy a POS?
Attached Thumbnails Tranny and MAF-truck.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The MAF is mounted to the side of the air box. It has a 5 wire connection on it. Cleaning it should be no more than spraying MAF cleaner in it. NO MORE THAN THAT!! The transmission is designed to shift sluggish to make if feel smooth. I would get a tuner and up the tranny pressure if you don't like how it shifts. Even with a tuner if I nail mine at the wrong speed it revs up then bangs into gear. Dunno if this is normal, but mine has done it since new..
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 AM

I am assuming that the MAF goes back in with the element facing the front of the motor/airbox. It goes in both way. What a dumbarse way of designing it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Cappy pic but this is what the mass airflow sensor looks like.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Default maf

That is the maf meter housing looks like for the 4.6L. I could be wrong but by judging his rims he has a lariat which means he prob has a 5.4L, they(5.4L) have different maf meters housing which the house should just be his air box. The sensor looks to be the same. On the meter right by the plug you should have an arrow with the word "flow" this arrow should show the flow of air eventually ending up at the throttle body! I also believe when installed on the 5.4l w/ a stock airbox it should point at the firewall! I believe also the little red saftey tab should be on the topside of the plug when installed! NGM is right on the cleaning of the meter you should only spray the fine wires w/ maf cleaner and NOTHING ELSE SHOULD BE DONE TO THEM AND LET THEM AIR DRY AND DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRES! NGM is also right for the tranny just get a tuner!

Last edited by BoatBoy1069; 03-12-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny and MAF