Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trani fluid...

Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trani fluid...

Time to change the trani fluid. I was wondering what kind i should use? Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It's written on the transmissin dip stick ("yellow" pull handle).

Available in all good auto parts stores.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
It's written on the transmissin dip stick ("yellow" pull handle).

Available in all good auto parts stores.
Thanks for stating the obvious but thats not what i meant. I wasn't sure if there might be a difference in brands or if there is a heavy duty fluid made for the trani. All my looking hasn't turned up much. It seams that there is not a lot of options for mercon 5 trani fluids.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by KIRT
Thanks for stating the obvious but thats not what i meant. I wasn't sure if there might be a difference in brands or if there is a heavy duty fluid made for the trani. All my looking hasn't turned up much. It seams that there is not a lot of options for mercon 5 trani fluids.
That should tell you that "it works fine, lasts a long time" (up to 75K in normal driving; if you tow, flush it more often).
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

inspite of what people may think trannnies need flushed sooner than 75K.. If you disagree with this that is ok... after being a service advisor for a cadillac and gm dealership gm actually (behind the scenes) recommends 35K flushes... me personally when i hit 30K i am gonna change mine to either amsoil or royal purple has... i use amsoil oil in my 08 f150 and it did make a difference in power...hope this helps... you pay for what you get..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
MTHA ***N PARATROOPER

Originally Posted by crazykarl
inspite of what people may think trannnies need flushed sooner than 75K.. If you disagree with this that is ok... after being a service advisor for a cadillac and gm dealership gm actually (behind the scenes) recommends 35K flushes... me personally when i hit 30K i am gonna change mine to either amsoil or royal purple has... i use amsoil oil in my 08 f150 and it did make a difference in power...hope this helps... you pay for what you get..

did you just use amsoil atf? also around howmany qts?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by crazykarl
Now thats the kind of info i was looking for. Where did you get the amsoil from? How much was it?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the oil I use amsoil 10w20, which is what the warranty suggests.. and I had a local garage get it for me but it can be gotten offline also www.amsoil.com i believe. I still have only 18K on truck so I am gonna use the tranny fluid in it now until I hit around 30K then change it..
Not for sure what I gave for the oil... i just know i pay 76 dollars for oil change and tire rotation... and of course they grease what is greaseable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trani fluid...