Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trailer lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trailer lights?

My 07 5.4 xlt for some reason the trailer tail lights do not work. The brake and turn signal lifts work just fine just not the running lights. And I know it's the truck because we hooked the trailer to another truck and they worked just fine. Is there a separate fuse or relay that just runs the taillights? Because I didn't see one listed in the manual
Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRomo
My 07 5.4 xlt for some reason the trailer tail lights do not work. The brake and turn signal lifts work just fine just not the running lights. And I know it's the truck because we hooked the trailer to another truck and they worked just fine. Is there a separate fuse or relay that just runs the taillights? Because I didn't see one listed in the manual
yes I had this exact thing happen to me it is just a fuse I can look up what one it is when I get home for you but there is just one fuse that goes.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Also worth checking the pins on the connector itself. On my old Jeep it was actually in the wrong spot, someone had put the running lights in the power brakes socket.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 AM
Professional Amateur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try fuse F10 its a 20 amp fuse. I had some issues with one of my trailer turn signals/brake lights not working and it was just a blown fuse. I had the OBDII port and cigarette lighter go out at about the same time. Both were frustrating but were simple fixes.

Relay 201 also controls the trailer parking lamps, which I'm assuming also control running lights.

Below is the link for the owners manual that give you the numbers for fuses on 299. This was very helpful in figuring out which fuse it could be without pulling them all. Hope this helps!

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../08f12og1e.pdf
Old 04-24-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

the connections could be a bit corroded and you cleaned it out a bit with the first connector
Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

7 pin connectors...

I've done 4 of these on my trucks, including ebrakes. I'll agree with the OP that it's an issue with the truck side. If the wiring is old, contains crimps, or if the connector at the truck side is old, I'd spend one weekend day and unwrap everything at the connector, and either redo or replace it. The constant plug/unplug eventually will cause wiring or the pins to get a lousy connection. Another reason why I avoid using crimp connectors; always solder and heat shrink these connections.

Fuses do not go bad, they blow due to an overloaded amp draw. Loose, dirty, or high resistance connections all can cause a circuit to blow its fuse.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-24-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you guys

Quick Reply: Trailer lights?