Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trailer brake controler

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer brake controler

Hey I have an 06 with a factory towing package and am going to purchase a trailer brake control module. Should I be able to just plug the module in to a factory connection somewhere under the dash, or do I have to hardwire it in somehow?
If I can just plug it in with the right wiring harness, do any of you guys know where the plug end is that I connect to??

Thanks again.

))--SLIVER-->
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 AM

My 06 w/factory tow package came with a small wire harness or adapter of some kind. never realy looked at it. I'll dig it out and have a give it a good look..............

Mote later,

Bob the Fool
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM

found it..........

Ford part# 4L3T-15A416-AB

this is a wiring harness and instructions for electric trailer brakes.

the harness plugs in under the dash and the (6) wires from it are to wire into your aftermarket trailer brake controller.

I can scan the installation instructions and e-mail them to you if you want to have a look before you order this.....

PM your e-mail address.

Bob the Fool
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have the 7 pin connecter at the rear of the truck you are prewired for it.

The truck should have come with the wiring adapter/pigtail, but if it didn't, you can buy them anywhere. You don't have to wire anything into the truck. You just have to connect the wires on the pigtail to the corresponding wires on the brake control box.

Step 1. Buy a brake controller, and wire adapter for you vehicle if you don't have one already.

Step 2. Connect the wires on the brake controller to the corresponding wires on the adapter plug. (they are either color-coded or labeled)

Step 3. Plug the end of the adapter into the plug located under the dash, (toward the center, look under there, you can't miss it.)

Step 4. Mount the brake controller. On my truck, there is a small metal plate under the dash, right above my left foot. I believe that plate is there for that purpose. That's where my controller is.

Really easy
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Tekonsha brake controllers have available connectors that plug into the factory harness and into the brake controller. No splicing, cutting or crimping needed.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lasttruck
Tekonsha brake controllers have available connectors that plug into the factory harness and into the brake controller. No splicing, cutting or crimping needed.
X2 painless.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I will be buying the controller this week and if I have any problems I'll let ya know.
My truck did come with the 7 pin plug.
Bob the fool, I sent ya my address.

THANKS AGAIN.
))--SLIVER-->

Quick Reply: Trailer brake controler