Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Toyo Open Country M/T in the mud

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country M/T in the mud

I'm interested in getting a set of Open Country M/T's within the next few weeks and the information I've been gathering sounds pretty good so far but I noticed there is not much mention of their performance in the mud. I'm not planning on doing any serious mud bogging but I want something aggressive that'll hold its own and get me out of tough spots. I do live in south Louisiana where it's easy to get stuck in your own backyard!

As a side note/question, I also plan on getting a set of 18" XD Monsters and have been told that I can fit 35" tires with a 2.5" leveling kit, just want to make sure this info is accurate before I go off spending money.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Tires

Real,

I hope they are good tires, because yesterday I ordered 35"x12.50x18". Also a set of 18x9 Eagle 097 SF Black wheels. I will have some pic's in 3 weeks, because Im off to work.

I too live in the south, (Central Louisiana) and I have heard nothing but good about these tires. Other than the PRICE tag. But, If you got the cash, you might as well spend it.... HA....

Also, to all you Vet's on this Forum... Thanks for all the helpful knowledge. This is a great site.

Handgrabber....
Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of 37X12.5x17s'. Though due to not having my lift yet, I can not comment first hand.

When I was researching I wanted the best tire I could get for wet clay as we don't have dirt where i off road.... Everyone I talked to say this was the tire to get. If it is the best for clay, it has to be one of the best for mud.....
Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

they are great tires in the mud and they work well in the snow and rain. basically they are a great tire but they are a little to expensive for my taste since they are gonna run about $500 a tire with my new rims.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Can anyone tell me if 35's will fit with the wheels I mentioned and a 2.5" leveling kit? I'm calling around getting price quotes on the wheel/tire package and am having some telling me 35's will fit and others telling me 33's at the biggest and that they might still have to trim. I don't have the leveling kit yet so my options are still open, if I have to go with a different kit or lift and the price is reasonable I'll go for it. I'm sure you can tell I'm new to modding trucks and am lost in the sauce, I just want a definite answer!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:54 PM

if you wanna fit 35's for not too much money go with the rancho 4 inch lift kit. you could only fit 33's with a leveling kit.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks, I have a bad habit of trying to one-up myself, I think I'm gonna go with 33's as long as they fit and look mean!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RealManofGenius
Thanks, I have a bad habit of trying to one-up myself, I think I'm gonna go with 33's as long as they fit and look mean!
A buddy of mine has an FX4 with 35's on a 2.5in lift, if that helps any.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by brub27
A buddy of mine has an FX4 with 35's on a 2.5in lift, if that helps any.

Suspension lift that is ! Not a leveling kit ! But you could do that too.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brub27
Suspension lift that is ! Not a leveling kit ! But you could do that too.

It's my experience that on the 2.5" leveling kits, they will fit and not rub, ASLONG as there is no load on the front suspension, say you are turning into a driveway that is elevated from the street, as soon as that suspension loads it will rub. I've put 4 of these leveling kits on friends trucks, and they usually don't rub, but they do in the right conditions.

With a 2.5 leveling kit, I'd stay with 33's, unless a little rubbing doesn't bother you, the other thing you can do is get rims with a different offset.

If you want that extra 1" of ride height you get with the 35's the 4" rancho get is a economical solution.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country M/T in the mud