Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Towing Question with a 2006 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Question with a 2006 F150

Hey Guys,

Newb here with a towing question. First, a little background - I had a Nissan Titan previously before my current F150 (Titan was totaled, unfortunately). At any rate, the Titan had a 5 speed trans that allowed manual selection of gears for towing. I tow a 22 foot travel trailer, 5500lbs loaded. I usually towed in 4th, downshifting to 3rd as needed, staying out of OD based on the torque convertor wanting to unlock.

Now, my current truck is an 06 supercrew, 5.4L with 3.73 rear, 4speed, and towing package. Question is, for towing the camper, am I ok with leaving the OD on for the majority of the towing? Turning OD off locks you in 3rd gear correct? I'm just trying to get a general feel for the new truck before I take the camper out this year. I'm assuming OD off for hills or if the convertor unlocks, then OD on most of the time would be fine, but I figured I'd ask the experts first.

All in all, I'm loving the 'new' truck. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

your assumptions sir are correct. i typically tow in excess of 5500 and typically I will leave OD off unless I actually have to get on the freeway. But if I need to pass on the freeway, I shut the OD off to rev up the trans naturally, then stick the peddle. Best of luck in your new adventures with your Ford!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
your assumptions sir are correct. i typically tow in excess of 5500 and typically I will leave OD off unless I actually have to get on the freeway. But if I need to pass on the freeway, I shut the OD off to rev up the trans naturally, then stick the peddle. Best of luck in your new adventures with your Ford!
Thanks! Is there a minimum speed to downshift out of OD? I didn't get all the way through my owner's manual yet, so forgive me if the answer is in there.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tow6

I also do a lot of towing with my 06 4x4 with the towing package, but I have the 4.6 with the 3.55 (ls) gears. Very rarely do I turn the o/d off - I do a lot of mixed city/highway driving, and my truck seems to know what its doing. Just be a little sensitive to how the combined efforts of the engine and transmission are handling the load, and you should be able to tell the appropriate action to take. I think the most I have ever towed was a 10000 pound loaded dump trailer, and even then I didnt need to turn off the o/d - it just stayed in the lower gears to compensate for the extra strain. I assume you know plenty about towing ediquette, so keep on keepin on and stay safe. Congratulations on your new truck. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bk19702
Thanks! Is there a minimum speed to downshift out of OD? I didn't get all the way through my owner's manual yet, so forgive me if the answer is in there.

No, you can switch the OD off at anytime. You can actually drive around all day, stop and go traffic, w/ it off. I have gotten into the truck a few times and hit the button and didnt notice until I was half way to where I was going. All OD does is allow that 4th gear to work, but seldom does it, unless you tromp on the peddle.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VanoFord
All OD does is allow that 4th gear to work, but seldom does it, unless you tromp on the peddle.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redefinition1
I also do a lot of towing with my 06 4x4 with the towing package, but I have the 4.6 with the 3.55 (ls) gears. Very rarely do I turn the o/d off - I do a lot of mixed city/highway driving, and my truck seems to know what its doing. Just be a little sensitive to how the combined efforts of the engine and transmission are handling the load, and you should be able to tell the appropriate action to take. I think the most I have ever towed was a 10000 pound loaded dump trailer, and even then I didnt need to turn off the o/d - it just stayed in the lower gears to compensate for the extra strain. I assume you know plenty about towing ediquette, so keep on keepin on and stay safe. Congratulations on your new truck. Good luck.
10,000? My 06 F150 4.6L 3.55 gear is only rated for a max towing of 6300lbs.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
10,000? My 06 F150 4.6L 3.55 gear is only rated for a max towing of 6300lbs.
I recently saw that mine was something like that too. I dont know if theres something special about my truck (it has the towing package but I dont know if that explains all of it) but its a beast. That was one of four loads of a dump trailer full of four cubic yards wet soil - I had to shovel some out just so the trailer could lift it - plus I dragged it through about a foot (deep) of mud where I was dumping it - up a hill! I have done some crazy towing with my truck - far more than the charts denote, so I dont know how or why, but it can and does so without complaints. I love my truck and it completely drives my business and my life in general.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 PM
FordTrkMan06

Well in all honesty i towed a trailor and 500gallon water tank with my truck, by all the calulations we figured it to be around 11,500 pounds! And it towed it fine.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM

yea ive had around 10000lbs on my 04 FX4 and with OD on it went just fine. i turned OD off on hills but that was it on the highway crusing it doesn't seem to affect it much. but like i read somewhere else. these trucks know what they are doing when towing. if you see that its shifting from 4th to 3rd often then kick off the OD. other then that.. happy towing!

Quick Reply: Towing Question with a 2006 F150