Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Towing across country.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Towing across country.

On the 1st of april i will be loading up my trailor and heading from Pocatello ID to Mobile AL. My first question is who should pull the heavier trailor, my brother in law has a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 he has a little more power but i figured my truck was still rated to tow more but i just want to make sure i should be pulling the heavier one. I know very little about towing. second question is what kind of adjustments should i do to my edge to make sure im running the most efficient and helping the tranny as much as possible. im running level 2 right now but i have it set pretty aggressive as far as shift point and firmness and stuff so i know i need to tame it down some. just wondering if you guys could give me some helpful advice. Once again i know very little about towing, the longest i have towed before was an empty 20ft about 50 miles. The trailor i will be using this time is a 12ft one from uhaul.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

You should tow it. How heavy are you looking at? I would leave the Edge alone, it should be fine. Just make sure you do some test stops to determine how your brakes are going to handle the extra weight.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
You should tow it. How heavy are you looking at? I would leave the Edge alone, it should be fine. Just make sure you do some test stops to determine how your brakes are going to handle the extra weight.

There is really a lot to this question.
towing that far, you should take the heavier one. make sure to properly load the trailer. I think even the smallest u-hauls have surge brakes. keep eye on trans temp. Far too much to type out do you have more specific questions?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm sorry, but my first comment will have to be : A Jeep... towing ?? hahahahahahhah!!!!

The best move may be to pull off your trailer's wheels and have a look at/maybe regrease the bearings. just because the trailer hasn't been used much doesn't mean it's ready to go.

I've towed 10,000lb triple axle trailers down to a little jet ski trailer. the worst time I (we) ever had was trying to find parts to fix a burned bearing in the backwoods of Wisconsin on a sunday night coming home from a sno'bile trip...

Don't let this happen to you.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM
This picture scares you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
The trailor i will be using this time is a 12ft one from uhaul.
Originally Posted by foolwitools

The best move may be to pull off your trailer's wheels and have a look at/maybe regrease the bearings. just because the trailer hasn't been used much doesn't mean it's ready to go.

I've towed 10,000lb triple axle trailers down to a little jet ski trailer. the worst time I (we) ever had was trying to find parts to fix a burned bearing in the backwoods of Wisconsin on a sunday night coming home from a sno'bile trip...

Don't let this happen to you.
I don't think that uhaul would appreciate that...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderslide
There is really a lot to this question.
towing that far, you should take the heavier one. make sure to properly load the trailer. I think even the smallest u-hauls have surge brakes. keep eye on trans temp. Far too much to type out do you have more specific questions?
Yea the trans, was the main thing that i was worrying about. i have the stock gears with 35s so it works a bit harder anyways. i just got everything serviced so that part is taken care of but i know anything could happen. i still need to figure out how much of a drop i need for my hitch but i will do that when i pick the trailor up.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by foolwitools
Hi,

I'm sorry, but my first comment will have to be : A Jeep... towing ?? hahahahahahhah!!!!
I know a jeep sounds funny but when we went to reserve the trailors they lwere fine with letting him take a 12ft trailor but i had to talk them into letting me take a 12ft as well. they strongly sugested that i only take an 8ft. for what reasons i dont now know but that was the reason i asked if i should take a heavier one or him. i wasnt sure if my lift was the reasoning behind it or not.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd say if you're both paying for your own gas, let him take the heavier one.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

And make sure you have a drop hitch that gets the ball down to the right height.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try renting a trailer from u-haul with an explorer. or a sport-trac explorer... I don't think u-haul allows it.

Quick Reply: Towing across country.