Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tow mirrors

Old 03-31-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tow mirrors

I have a 2004 f150 with plain ole mirrors. No blinker, heat or puddle and I have some tow mirrors with blinker, heat, and puddle I ordered online. I've heard you need to do some rewiring of the harness but never could find out exactly what to do. If someone can help explain what wires need to move and where they go. I do not plan on using the heated option for now and I would like to have the puddle light working. Am I going to have to run a wire for puddle?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 07 XLT that had the plain ole stock mirrors with no additional features, I purchased some tow mirrors from 1AAuto and simply plugged them into my existing harness with no re-wiring. I now have working puddle lights and blinkers, and the electric tilt etc still works. Shouldn't have to do anything unless by some crazy stretch the 04 was different
The following users liked this post:
1Aauto (04-30-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

07 and up are plug and play for puddle lights and blinkers 04-06 you need to do some re-wiring most people Tap into the dome light wire for puddles as for signal it's simple swap pins #8
And #2 and then the signals will work.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It depends on your model F-150; not all models wil have the wiring for options such as power mirrors, puddle lights, etc.

My 2007 STX does not have any factory wiring in the doors for this; I have no power locks, nor power windows, and the factory wiring harnesses are not in the doors for any of this.

For this reason, I purchased "plain ole" towing mirrors; no lights, no power adjust, no power folding. I have to do it all with my hands and a flashlight!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
It depends on your model F-150; not all models wil have the wiring for options such as power mirrors, puddle lights, etc.

My 2007 STX does not have any factory wiring in the doors for this; I have no power locks, nor power windows, and the factory wiring harnesses are not in the doors for any of this.

For this reason, I purchased "plain ole" towing mirrors; no lights, no power adjust, no power folding. I have to do it all with my hands and a flashlight!
I also have the plain towing mirrors. I bought them when I was in college because they were much cheaper than the powered ones....and I have an FX4 with all the wiring. I still like them just fine even though they are manual. BTW, not to be a thread jacker, but does anyone know where I can find a convex mirror (the small curved rectangular mirror on the bottom of the towing mirror housing) The plastic piece is still good, just the mirror glass has been smashed and I cant seem to find a direct fit replacement.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
I also have the plain towing mirrors. I bought them when I was in college because they were much cheaper than the powered ones....and I have an FX4 with all the wiring. I still like them just fine even though they are manual. BTW, not to be a thread jacker, but does anyone know where I can find a convex mirror (the small curved rectangular mirror on the bottom of the towing mirror housing) The plastic piece is still good, just the mirror glass has been smashed and I cant seem to find a direct fit replacement.
Ford parts department can get you one...item number 4 in the picture below?
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Ford parts department can get you one...item number 4 in the picture below?
Yes but i don't believe that will work. I purchased a NON-OEM towing mirror....The way the convex mirror is constructed....there is a nut underneath the mirror glass....so I'm not sure how I would reattach the mirror without getting the mirror glass off. I've already purchased a replacement mirror but I have no way of reattaching it....I need to somehow separate the mirror glass from the plastic so I can attach it to the main tow mirror housing, then I would need to apply adhesive and reattach the mirror glass....or am I missing something? I haven't had this mirror on my truck in over a year and it's driving me crazy...but I can't bring myself to spend an extra $150-$200 on a new driver's side mirror because of a $15 part. Help me
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Yea, that's the unfortunate luck with buying a non OEM part; no easy replacement parts that can be had if something breaks.

I'd scour Ebay for a used OEM drivers side mirror. Deals are out there: two days ago I got a used OEM right side one with heated glass and turn signal for $70.00 shipped, and this morning I got a used OEM left side with heated glass, puddle light, and turn signal for $50.00 shipped! While my STX does not have the wiring equipped for any of those electrical gizmos, the mirrors will work just fine as "manuals".
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 AM

Yea, that's the unfortunate luck with buying a non OEM part; no easy replacement parts that can be had if something breaks.

I'd scour Ebay for a used OEM drivers side mirror. Deals are out there: two days ago I got a used OEM right side one with heated glass and turn signal for $70.00 shipped, and this morning I got a used OEM left side with heated glass, puddle light, and turn signal for $50.00 shipped! While my STX does not have the wiring equipped for any of those electrical gizmos, the mirrors will work just fine as "manuals".
Agreed....but I still feel like there is someway to separate the mirror glass from the convex mirror housing....how else would they screw it to the main housing if they didn't put the mirror glass on last? Maybe I could heat it up and try and peel it off?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Good thinking in that it was somehow assembled, and therefore must somehow be able to be taken apart.

I can't help you on that one though, as I don't have one that I've had to try.

Hopefully someone in that situation can help you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow mirrors