Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Touching up paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Blue Chrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touching up paint chips

Today I decided to remove the 4x4 stickers on the bed of my truck that went all smooth and is fine. I really like the look of the truck better without those damn things. Then I removed a dealership stick on advertisement thingy thats been annoying me for a while on the tailgate I removed it slowly and everything went well but now I noticed where that badge thing was on the tailgate I have 2 little rock looking chips. Does anybody know a process to touching these chips up to make it blend it without having to paint the entire tailgate ? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you go to the dealer...or autozone i think, they should sell the same color paint (check your paint code on the door) and it comes with a small brush or fine tip...Its a little over priced but its code matched so i guess its worth it. Comes in a small bottle. I have used it on several different vehicles in my family and it works great.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Blue Chrome

Originally Posted by dplummer87
If you go to the dealer...or autozone i think, they should sell the same color paint (check your paint code on the door) and it comes with a small brush or fine tip...Its a little over priced but its code matched so i guess its worth it. Comes in a small bottle. I have used it on several different vehicles in my family and it works great.
Awesome I'll probably stop by the dealer when the weather gets nicer and pick up a bottle of touch up. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
American Muscle

I cant remember if it was autozone or pepboys that carried it...Id still just get it through the dealer. I think its around 10 bucks or something like that. Havnt bought it in a while though.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had 3 little rock chips to the hood of my 08 F150.
I went to the dealer and picked up a bottle of touch up paint it was like $10. The bottle has what looks like a nail polish brush and if you remove the little plastic disk in the bottle you can use the pen tip for small scratches.

you need to do a little prep work before you do the touch, If you have any rust in the chips you have to get rid of the rust, If you do not it will come back trough the paint latter.

If you do not have any rust you need to clean the chips out well so there is no wax oil or anything in it then use the touch up paint and slowly fill in the chip.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean it, apply the paint and then use a paper towel with the alcohol on it to remove any over paint. let it dry for a few hours and do it again and again until the chip is built up. then I let the paint to dry for a few days and lightly way around the chip. the rubbing alcohol will take the wax off and if it is used to much and left to sit you can damage the paint. only damping the Connor of the paper towel and lightly touch the over paint so it removes it.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been thinking about removeing the white 4X4 sticker off the side of my truck aswell.. but I was afraid of how it might look... the dealer sticker came off while before I left the lot LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
American Muscle

I took mine off but put a different one back on ;-)
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to remove the stickers you need a good heat gun, heat the sticker well and slowly start to peel it off and heat as you go. then use something like wd-40 and a soft cloth to remove the rest of the glue and then wax well.

If the sticker has been there for a long time you will always be able to see where it was due to the paint that isn't faded as bad as the surrounding area.

go slow and do not use a razor blade on the paint.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Also, to fill in scratches and chips.. The brush is ok if you want to use it but the best thing to use is a syringe (if you have access to one). The guage size really doesn't matter. Fill this up with the paint and inject it into the gouge. There will be no brush strokes and also no risk of running if you go slow.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
Also, to fill in scratches and chips.. The brush is ok if you want to use it but the best thing to use is a syringe (if you have access to one). The guage size really doesn't matter. Fill this up with the paint and inject it into the gouge. There will be no brush strokes and also no risk of running if you go slow.

Great Idea, never heard that one before.

I always used a toothpick because the brush that comes in the touchup paint is too big but I am going to give the "Lenn Method" a try !

Quick Reply: Touching up paint chips