Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Toolbox Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Toolbox Decision

I stumbled across this ad tonight: http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/3672332547.html

Guy still has it and said its mine for $75 if I go pick it up (under an hour away). I see that new ones retail for over $300. So this seems like a killer deal.

I've never owned a bed toolbox but I've been thinking about it for a little, just not sure if I really need one. It's mainly for jumpers, hitch gear, tow straps, etc. Can anyone offer advice or opinions on toolboxes? Pros and cons?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 PM
F150 Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow wisconsinite here! I've actually thought about it as well for my 07 f150 the only reason I won't do it is I value the bed in my space way too much. I race quads and if I had a toolbox in my bed I simply wouldn't be able to close my tailgate with my quad and gear in the back. The storage would be nice but I found that some simple bags/small totes/ work great under the rear seat for small stuff like that. Just my 2 cents best of luck to you!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I mostly use my box for suit case and the like. Anythng else and i use a trailer. I have a cover on my box and a black deezee in bed toolbox. I am very pleased with it this way i also put a lock on the toolbox and can lock my tailgate so things are "safer"
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM

Nice! Where in WI are you? I understand both points. I rarely use every inch of my bed plus this looks like a great deal. Could be one of those things where I won't know until I have one.

Anymore input? There has to be more owners with toolboxes.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM
F150 Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Green Bay area
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NE Ford
Nice! Where in WI are you? I understand both points. I rarely use every inch of my bed plus this looks like a great deal. Could be one of those things where I won't know until I have one.

Anymore input? There has to be more owners with toolboxes.
I like mine. I have subs under my rear seat so I have almost no storage in my truck. I had to have somewhere for jumper cables, hi-jack, tow straps trailer hitch stuff, some basic tools, and strap downs and stuff. I even have a 5 gal air tank and compressor in it. I have a short bed so it limits space some, but I haven't come to a situation where I need more bed space yet. My dirt bike and atv still fit fine with the tailgate down. Stuff like plywood sheets and thing like that will still slide under the toolbox also. I like mine and I think it looks good on the truck too
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Appreciate the feedback. I think I'll buy the box and give it a try. Worst case scenario if I don't like it I can probably sell it for the same price.

Any ideas on the best way to turn it black? I was thinking some type of bedliner.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I love my toolbox. I've got tools, folding chair, tow rope, gloves, and some speaker boxes that me and my dad made to plug into the back doors when I'm out with friends. I'd say best way to turn it black would probably be bedliner. I know plastidip is what a lot of people are using on flares and such but I'm not sure it would stand up to being on a toolbox.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks, unfortunately that guy sold his but I found another just like it.

Just to be sure, box size is universal right? So if it came off a Silverado it will for my F150? I know there is a difference between full size and midsized, but full size will across the board...right?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NE Ford
Thanks, unfortunately that guy sold his but I found another just like it.

Just to be sure, box size is universal right? So if it came off a Silverado it will for my F150? I know there is a difference between full size and midsized, but full size will across the board...right?
Yes full size toolboxes fit all full size trucks.

Quick Reply: Toolbox Decision