Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Which tires and rims recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tires and rims recommended?

Hello,
I am looking at buying a new set of tires and rims for f150. I am seeing what some of you might recommend?
What I really would like is a set of moto metal rims that are black and silver with a set of nitto terra grapplers (a/t). I also am looking into dick cepek because I like the way they look. I had a set of bfg a/t ko's on my diesel and they wore out way too quick for my liking. I did a lot more towing with it then I do my f150 which is half the problem. So might be interested in another set of those but more than likely not. Any other suggestions on what else is out there for a decent deal? What do you guys think of the Nitto brand? The general consensus from what I have seen so far is that owners like them.
I am planning on just putting a leveling kit on the truck and then getting tires for it, so nothing too huge. Probably along the lines of a 285.60.18
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Troby25
Hello,
I am looking at buying a new set of tires and rims for f150. I am seeing what some of you might recommend?
What I really would like is a set of moto metal rims that are black and silver with a set of nitto terra grapplers (a/t). I also am looking into dick cepek because I like the way they look. I had a set of bfg a/t ko's on my diesel and they wore out way too quick for my liking. I did a lot more towing with it then I do my f150 which is half the problem. So might be interested in another set of those but more than likely not. Any other suggestions on what else is out there for a decent deal? What do you guys think of the Nitto brand? The general consensus from what I have seen so far is that owners like them.
I am planning on just putting a leveling kit on the truck and then getting tires for it, so nothing too huge. Probably along the lines of a 285.60.18
Thanks for the help!
I live my Fuel Boost wheels. I have Mickey Thompson baja mtzs on them. So far so good, but their still kinda new. Haven't really had em off road yet.
Attached Thumbnails Which tires and rims recommended?-image-3148926329.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 PM
LDP

From what I've heard, and what my buddies have told me, Nittos run out pretty quickly. My friend ran Nitto Grapplers and barely got 40,000km out of them, where on the other hand got near 100,000km out of his Open Country MT's. Mickey Thompson offers some nice rubber, BFG too. Depends on how much you're looking to spend.
Wheels are difficult because everything has been done. Despite how much you see all the XD's out there, I still like them a lot. The Addicts and Monsters are by far the nicest, especially with a good offset that'll give your rubber an 1" or 1 1/2" out the wheel well too.
But again, it all comes down to price.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Troby25
Hello,
Thanks for the help!

im not sure about tires, i have toyo open country. ive taken them offroading once and did pretty well, cooper MT is good. dont have alot of drone and will tear up some mud. as far as rims go, i hate aftermarket rims. like silly said everything has been done and rims are becoming too "flashy, stylish" these days, i perfer a basic look. like the roush wheels, but i cant afford those. i love my stock rims, and went with a cheap mod and plasti dipped them. its not like paint, no sanding, just clean the wheel and spray. plasti dip comes off like a glove and will leave the rims the way they were lookin before you applied it

here is the thread i posted recently

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/plasti-dipped-rims-132575/
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM

I am looking at a set of Nitto's on chrome moto metals. The guy is only an hour away so that's what has got my interest. can't really find a good deal on anything else close. He said he plasti-dipped his current rims he just put on and he loves it. He photoshopped the rims for sale in black to see what I thought about them. I'm not really liking the way they look though. Might just settle with getting them and leaving them the way they are. He also said they started getting some pitting on the back of the rims. I live in a salt area, so they will probably continue to get worse. Any ideas on how to prevent this from growing. I don't really wanna go back in forth from my stockers from winter to summer.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by blue thunder06
im not sure about tires, i have toyo open country. ive taken them offroading once and did pretty well, cooper MT is good. dont have alot of drone and will tear up some mud. as far as rims go, i hate aftermarket rims. like silly said everything has been done and rims are becoming too "flashy, stylish" these days, i perfer a basic look. like the roush wheels, but i cant afford those. i love my stock rims, and went with a cheap mod and plasti dipped them. its not like paint, no sanding, just clean the wheel and spray. plasti dip comes off like a glove and will leave the rims the way they were lookin before you applied it

here is the thread i posted recently

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/plasti-dipped-rims-132575/

I'm running Roush 20's on 33 inch Open Country A/T's

Old 01-18-2012, 04:20 PM

If it were me I would run the dick cepek sence that is what you like and I agree they look good. And if you are wanting to run an all terrain then BFGs are the way to go. I ran them on my last truck and they did well. I would say not to the terra grapplers because I have a friend who was them and they wore out extremly fast. If you want to try something other than BFG look at the Toyo Open Country A/T. I just got a set for my truck and so far they are good, and I have heard they last upwards of 50k miles and in some cases close to 70K
Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Didn't read much of your post, but for tires I recommend either the BFG Rugged T/A, or Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T. The rim/wheel selection is much greater, because there are so many. However, a few brands I like are the XD series (KMC), ATX series (AR), Moto Metal, and Fuel Off-road. Make sure to post pictures when you get them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sillygirl
From what I've heard, and what my buddies have told me, Nittos run out pretty quickly. My friend ran Nitto Grapplers and barely got 40,000km out of them, where on the other hand got near 100,000km out of his Open Country MT's. Mickey Thompson offers some nice rubber, BFG too. Depends on how much you're looking to spend.
Wheels are difficult because everything has been done. Despite how much you see all the XD's out there, I still like them a lot. The Addicts and Monsters are by far the nicest, especially with a good offset that'll give your rubber an 1" or 1 1/2" out the wheel well too.
But again, it all comes down to price.
It depends which Nittos you get the P (passenger) series last only 40k( ex. P270/70/18) and the LT series last 60K- 70K (LT270/70/18) the LTs will be quite bit of a rougher ride than the P.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 PM

I also found a set of xd addicts with a set of 295 70 17 nitto rugged terrain. They look pretty good. The rims are black and silver. The tires only have 500 miles on them. The guy is selling for $1200. good deal or no? Kind of wanted to stay away from M/Ts because I have seen how quick they wear.

Quick Reply: Which tires and rims recommended?