Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?

after a shop installed my new tires and rims, about 6 weeks later Tire Pressure Sensor Fault message stays on my display...should I take it back to the shop and tell them the pressure bands r messed up, or is this just something u have to deal with? I have heard both of those answers, but this is the first time I have posted this question in a forum....thx for any help
Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Well if it stayed off for 6 weeks then you obviously have tire pressure monitors in your tires. Here's what I would do, starting with the obvious, make sure all your tires are at the correct pressure, Including the spare tire. If that doesn't work then take it to the shop and see if they'll fix it for free/cheap. If that doesn't happen put 2 pieces of black electrical tape over the tire pressure light and check your tire pressures once a week.

When I got my new rims I ran into the problem of whether or not to get sensors put in them, I decided it wasn't worth it, 2 years later I'm doing just fine.
The following users liked this post:
slag2003 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zmadams
Well if it stayed off for 6 weeks then you obviously have tire pressure monitors in your tires. Here's what I would do, starting with the obvious, make sure all your tires are at the correct pressure, Including the spare tire. If that doesn't work then take it to the shop and see if they'll fix it for free/cheap. If that doesn't happen put 2 pieces of black electrical tape over the tire pressure light and check your tire pressures once a week.

When I got my new rims I ran into the problem of whether or not to get sensors put in them, I decided it wasn't worth it, 2 years later I'm doing just fine.

yeah that was what really made me angry that me and my friends didn't install the tires and rims after we installed the lift, but the shop said it was a law in this state to install the bands so I said ok...tire pressure was almost the same in all 4 tires, never checked the spare, I didn't know to check that...hopefully I wont have to check my tires 3 times a day just to make the warning light go off
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to know which sendo or tire is the issue get your hands on the remote tpms programmer. It's cheap, I got it for like 30 bucks. You put the truck into train mode with a series of key turns and brake presses, (the remote comes with instructions, I don't remember the exact sequence off the top of my head) the truck honks, then you circle around the truck pushing the button on the programmer at each tire. Once the computer learns it, the truck honks, if you get to one that doest honk, then you know the sensor isn't working. I swas back and forth between 2 sets of wheels, both have the banded sensors so I do it all the time, piece of cake.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

To put it in to train mode it's key in the ignition (don't turn on) press the brakes 3 times, turn the key on and off 3 times hold the brake for about 2-3 seconds while the key is turned on, release brake and turn the key on and off 3 times and it should honk then you can train the tpms.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

And when it honks leave the key on don't turn it off or it'll honk twice and you'll have to start over.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the fuse located for for this sensor?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no fuse there in the tire, whether they be a band sensor or a valve sensor that's where they are I work at a tire shop I see them everyday. You will get a tpms light if a sensor has failed or pressure is too low. Any local tire shop should be able to scan your sensors for a very reasonable price.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tritonbullet
There is no fuse there in the tire, whether they be a band sensor or a valve sensor that's where they are I work at a tire shop I see them everyday. You will get a tpms light if a sensor has failed or pressure is too low. Any local tire shop should be able to scan your sensors for a very reasonable price.
My truck had none when I bought it...I just really want to turn the tire light thing off, I've only been seeing it for about 3 years now. Would be nice to turn it off without pulling the cluster/gauge panel out and take the bulb out. Just wondering if there was a fuse for the light.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

There is no fuse for this system...it is a Federal law that all 08+ cars and trucks have TPMS. The only way to make the light go away is to comply or defeat... 2 ways to defeat are remove the cluster and remove or tape over the TPMS bulb/symbol or make a TPMS bomb.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?