Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System- BIG $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
2008 F150 XLT Supercab4X4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tire Pressure Monitoring System- BIG $$$$$

Has anyone been hosed by a tire dealer over damaging a rim sensor ?

I had a flat tire repaired at Monro Muffler@ BJ's Wholesale Club. They sheared off the sensor, breaking the tire bead, on the tire machine. They are now denying they damaged the sensor. They are stating the sensor was missing from the rim.

The dealer wants $320 for the repair . $106 for the rim sensor, $16 for a new band, the rest for labor for programming the new sensor into the TPMS system.

Any help out there on doing this cheaper ?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f150bob
Has anyone been hosed by a tire dealer over damaging a rim sensor ?

I had a flat tire repaired at Monro Muffler@ BJ's Wholesale Club. They sheared off the sensor, breaking the tire bead, on the tire machine. They are now denying they damaged the sensor. They are stating the sensor was missing from the rim.

The dealer wants $320 for the repair . $106 for the rim sensor, $16 for a new band, the rest for labor for programming the new sensor into the TPMS system.

Any help out there on doing this cheaper ?
Sounds like a trip to Judge Judy to me. I would say if you bought the truck, and you have proof the sensor was there when you bought it, take 'em to court.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM

sad to say there is not much you can do but yell real loud.Its one of those things that you just cant prove either way. If you really wanted to prove it you could possibly have another shop record the freeze frame data for when the code set. the sensor will record a code for when it acually stopped getting a signal.Good luck
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Inspector Man

Yeah, you might be unable to prove it, but if their technicians are worth anything, they're going to check for idiot lights before they service the truck--ABS, CEL, Airbags, TPMS--anything that they might get blamed for. I've had quite a few oil changes and tire rotations interrupted because the check engine and ABS lights were on.

If it were me, I'd raise holy hell with their manager. In front of God and everybody. I'd even threaten to sit in front of their store with a picket sign. If they lose one set of tires or one exhaust job and they've lost more than the $320 to shut you up and get you out of their store--and any good manager knows that.

You don't have to be crass, but be firm and LOUD!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I also cast my vote in going back to the tire store and raising the issue. Is tire store part of a "chain" ? If so, ask to speak to an area manager if you get no success with the store manager. Be polite, but firm. Obviously the tire store does not want to accept responsibility for the accused damage.

For anyone that reads this thread now or in the future, make sure you point out to a tire store BEFORE THEY DO WORK ON YOUR RIMS/TIRES that you have the tire pressure warning system, and that it is in perfect working order when you brought the truck or car into their shop.

My wife drives a BMW, equipped with some nice, but expensive stock rims. Whenever we have had to replace the tires, I always have taken the store manager out to the car, and have had him inspect the rims PRIOR to the car going into their garage and having the tires removed. This way should the tire changer damage the lip or scratch the rims, they will be liable.

I have had no problems with Tire Kingdom with this method.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
2008 F150 XLT Supercab4X4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Monro Corp. office just called. They said a check for the full amount will be in the mail and should be there in 5-7 days.

I am now waiting for the check. Thanks guys for the support and tips.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you got it resolved in your favor!!!

My TPMS light is on but it happened when I switced out my stock 17's for the OEM 20's.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System- BIG $$$$$