Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tire offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tire offset

does anyone know if it matters what the offset is on rims and so what am i lookin for in my offset
Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is a very confusing topic but i think i can correctly explain it. the offset is the distance of the hub of the wheel to the center of the wheel(as if you were looking at the wheel from the top). For example, if you got a wheel with a 30mm offset, then the hub would be closer to the front of the wheel (if you were looking straight at the wheel) and it would have a small lip. Also, the wheel would be tucked into the fender more. If you got a wheel with -12mm offset, then there would be a large lip and wheel would stick out of the fender a lot father. Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which would th ebest to get would peopel recommend or it really dont matter that much
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM

I would think that the offset of a wheel matters only as far a personal preference and clearance is concerned. i personally prefer a wheel and tire combo that keeps the outer edge of the wheel even with or just barely out side of the wheel well.

-Nate
Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
does anyone know if it matters what the offset is on rims and so what am i lookin for in my offset

IMHO a minimum offset of 5.5 inches, maximum of 6, tires no taller than 33 inches, and you'll be fine.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

would be cool to see a pic of a large offset and a small one
Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A guy in my town that works for a local custom truck shop has a 2500 ram with a 12 inch lift and has these 22in XDs with about a 10 inch lip, the inside of his wheels only are about 3 or 4 inches inside the wheel well. they stick out like crazy. looks cool but you cant really do anything with it, turning it probably ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Keep in mind that the factory offset is what is optimal for the axle/bearing assembly as determined by the manufacturer. This is part of their computation for the rated payload figures. When you change offset you are changing the leverage acting against the wheel bearing and ultimately the axle. I remember this being a problem with some of the ricers when they went wild with offset. Changing the offset too much could cause real problems and even loss of a wheel if you are using the truck to haul anywhere near it's rated capacity. Check this out further and weigh your options and liabilities before going for it.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the "Tire & Wheel Fitment Guide" sticky at the top of this forum. There is a lot of good info there. There are a lot of factors besides just the offset that you will need to consider, like backspacing, wheel width, tire size, etc. If you have a certain wheel/tire combo in mind, try the search in this forum and you might be able to find some pics of what you want, and you might be able to find out if any trimming was needed. Also, you could search Google for some pics. I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I have read a lot of info about others and their aftermarket rims and tires. If you can't find someone here running the setup you want, I would recommend stopping by one of your local tire shops and get their advice on fitment. As it was stated before, the positive offset will tuck more of your tire under the wheel wells (more of a factory look) and the negative offsets will push the tires outside of the wheel wells. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: tire offset