Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Timing please help

Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing please help

OK so I have a 04 FX4 5.4L 250K miles around 60k on motor and transmission. Im guessing that the timing chain tensioner went weak and made my chain on my right bank stretch. Ive replaced the chain and tensioners and everything looks great I just cannot get everything timed right. Is there a dummy proof way of getting the cam phasers where they need to be and the crank where it needs to be. I know I have to put the chains back on a specific way with the off colored links on the cam phasers I just for the life of me can not figure out how to get everything lined up. If anyone could dummy this down and explain in depth how to get each cam phaser lined up and the crank all lined up together that would be awesome. Here I thought that would be the easy part and I cant believe Im saying this but taking it apart was easy compared to timing the thing. Thanks guys
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-21-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 246 Likes on 211 Posts

I just answered your question in the other thread where you asked. I asked if you already have the chains off, if you do, but have not rotated the engine with them off, and the harmonic balancer and cam lobes are not how described in the other thread, you will have to put the chains back on and get them lined up and in the right position. Then you can remove the chains and phasers and start installing the new parts. Good luck, let us know how it goes or if you need more assistance.
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing please help