Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Timing chain tensioner failure...repeated.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing chain tensioner failure...repeated.

I have a 04 f150, 5.4. I bought it with broken chain guides, replaced all the timing components, phasers, plugs, vct solenoids. I used dorman phasers and duralast timing components, ford oil and filter since I've owned it which is only about 8000 miles. since the original work I have replaced all the timing parts 3 times. 2 times phasers were sprung, most recent the pin was broke off. tensioner had a pin hole in it most recent swap. I have a bad rattle at start up. the phaser noise isn't back yet, but I have a rattle when it sits an o start it after a few hours. worst part is these parts all have about 400 miles on them. I talked to our autozone rep who claims there timing pieces are made by melling or cloyes. he also told me he was gonna get a hold of the commercial rep sn have them talk to melling or cloyes and he never did. so he blew me off. I replaced the oil pump 4000 Miles ago with a melling pump, cleaned the pickup tube out, pulled the valve bodies and cleaned them out, so I have no idea what to do next. it has a p0021 code in it now, so idk if that's related to the tensioners or what's going on. any ideas as to what could cause the tensioner to go bad this quick (aside from use oe ford parts..unless autozone will supply them of course), or what to say to parts store to get them to replace with better quality parts?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Subpar parts is usually the culprit. I've read several reviews about the failure of the Dorman phasers. Definitely suggest using OE there. As far as doing your own research, you might could call Cloyes and see if they supply AZ or not. I know they supply Napa's timing parts, but cannot speak for the others. This is why I stay away from the retail chains. These guys only care about getting your dollar in their cash register.

Have you checked the screens amd in the tubes of your solenoids? It's possible for sludge and trash to end up there.

Last edited by nrivera04; 05-23-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

Sorry for your luck, yea the dorman and other aftermarket parts are known for this. I bought my entire kit off of ebay and have about 10000 miles on them now with no issues. I would probably go see if another autozone will do a exchange on the parts, I had the exact same issue with a fuel pump from them a few years ago, went through 4 in a single month, went to another store, told them the deal, they swapped it out with a different lot number and never had another issue. Sounds like it could be the same issue for you other than them being aftermarket and the usual reliability issues. These trucks really like OEM parts. Good luck.

Tom
Old 05-23-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

yah dorman parts in theses fords are known issues.. just use the 10% OVER COST on OEM ford parts. its the only way to go.. and its not as expensive as you think..

900$ for complete timing/camphasers/gaskets/vct solenoids

https://www.f150forum.com/f37/all-oe...er-cost-71683/

just msg Steve@Tasca or josh
Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM

I've looked into the prices on oe parts, I know it isn't much more but at the time, it was all I had to get the dorman junk. one way or another the store will be replacing the parts. I checked all the tunes I could, screens are clear on the solenoids, pickup tube is clear. I think I'll fight with the autoparts and see if I can get them to exchange for oe parts. cost isn't the big issue, it's all the labor involved. doing it once wasn't bad, the 3 times since in under a year aren't fun.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM

what's confusing me, check light had been on few days. now today it went off
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

I had a p0012 code, timing retarded when I first changed mine, cleaned the VCT solenoids with throttle body cleaner, replaced them into opposite banks to see if the code followed, it didn't. Cleared the code, hasn't come back yet, that was almost a year ago.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 PM

I put mine together, ran great for week or so then light popped on when the timing tensioner noise started. past few days the start up rattle has gotten to be bad, like 15-30 seconds, the check gauges light pops on the dash. then, today the check light went out
Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 PM

I put mine together, ran great for week or so then light popped on when the timing tensioner noise started. past few days the start up rattle has gotten to be bad, like 15-30 seconds, the check gauges light pops on the dash. then, today the check light went out on its own. I haven't scanned it or anything
Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

You need to check your oil pressure before you spend anymore money on that engine. It had a problem before you bought it and that problem may not have been resolved by timing components.

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioner failure...repeated.